johnson 200txes 1990 cross gears& prop shaft to cobra lower

sunburnt

Seaman
hello hoping someone can tell me if the johnson lower will fit a 1987 5.0 pary cobra ? got trashed while shifting. just happen to have j/e v6 on porch ! all #s seem to match prop shaft/housing/gears/dog/bearings/ not all knowledge seems to be found easy .this seems like a very good forum for interest in i/o s bolt or buy ?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: johnson 200txes 1990 cross gears& prop shaft to cobra lower

the gears in the early production cobras were the same as outboards.they have since been re-designed to a 5 degree gear.the reason for redesign was a jumping out of gear problem.if it was mine and i was going to use it myself why not?only cost time gear oil and some seals.the lower drive shaft is not the same as your outboard and the housing has some studs that outboards didn't

sunburnt

Seaman

tx this is my first i/o. found stuart s brief to late but wil follow all cable adjustments! but im in deeeep now .love noise of the line drag not the outboard thanks agin marinemech #1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure glad I don't use marinemech1 as my marine mechanic. He Might know outboards, but he don't know jack about outdrives and their engines from what I have read of his posts.
This one is a perfect example.
OMC (Cobra) went to the 5° reverse cut shift dogs because the things wouldn't stay in gear. They spent a lot of money doing replacement gear sets to cure the problem, now you are saying go ahead, it's ok........ Worked on outboards.

Sunburnt, read this. All of it.

http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/index.html

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

don check part numbers on early cobras
gears are the same as v-6 outboards
yes they were changed to 5 degree to help with shifting
but there are still alot out there with original gears

sunburnt

Seaman

so i have 2 opinons which would it be? do i need to change clutch dog ?if i use j/e seems i should use all matching parts from o/b

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

If I remember right the gears were changed from 2 deg to 5 deg for the shifting problem but they didn't fix it, it was the new RED redesigned shift cable that really fixed it.

sunburnt

Seaman

hey ; thats the way i read it. just looking for al l of your expert opinions, which is not always read in books.i appreciate everyones input ! i am taking it to an experienced omc mech , to do the shimming and gear mesh and check my work! not as cold here, but sure is blowing .gives me xtra time to work on the old girl! im going to repalce the old red transom shift cable with a new one.