New Dell XPS 410 Computer- Noise in Tower

brokenoar

Cadet
I hear what reminds me of a very very faint drum beat coming from the computer tower. These faint "drum beats" occur approximately every 5 or 6 seconds sometimes the "beats" are closer together and at times a short period when there is none. This will occur when I am doing nothing on the computer except having an open window such as the one I typed this message in. I am concerned if something is running in the background or if this is normal. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: New Dell XPS 410 Computer- Noise in Tower

Sounds like the hard drive. They're supposed to make some noise, but newer ones are pretty quiet. I would suggest you call Dell...they'll send you any replacement parts you might need ASAP.

BOBPELL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a smalll light on the front of the unit that flickers as the drive is being used. Does it come on when the noise appears? If so something (program) is accessing the drive.

I had to have Dell replace my drive due to a noise but different than yours.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Best back-up any important files to another drive or CD like now - - I think ZmOz has it nailed.

brokenoar

Cadet

Thanks ZmOz, BOBPELL and Solittle for your prompt replies. BOBPELL a green light flashes even when I am not doing anything but what I call a very very faint "drum beat" does not occur each time the light flashes. Would the Trend Micro anti virus program make the light flash and produce this noise when I have an open window and not doing anything? The sound might better be described as similar to a drop of water driping from a facuet into a metal kitchen sink but perhaps fainter.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Can't speak to Trend Micro but often "stuff" (like housekeeping, backups, etc) runs in the background without you doing anything. They are not all bad. Open your Task Manager & have a look see.

I still recommend the back-ups in case your hard drive is going south.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Could just be the processor cooling fan. Mine went out in 6 months.

When you first start the computer, in the top right hand corner. You will see "Press F12", do that and it will take you to a diagonstics screen and you can test the whole system from there.

You can also pres ctrl-alt-D and that will run diagnostics on the hard drive only. It will say Pass or Fail and a Fail code is given if the hard drive is bad.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Solittle said:
Can't speak to Trend Micro but often "stuff" (like housekeeping, backups, etc) runs in the background without you doing anything. They are not all bad. Open your Task Manager & have a look see.

Even if you don't have any other "stuff", paging is occurring to the hard drive.

brokenoar

Cadet

Plainsman-I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete and got Task Manager but cant find Pass/Fail. Will the F12 test work on the XP operating system?
BoatBuoy-Even if I don't have any other "stuff" where is this paging coming from and is this normal?
The noise I have described sounds the same as during Boot Up but the beats are not as close together..

I need to make a decision now if I should send computer back to Dell. If this looks like a potential problem this is what I would prefer. What opinions you all have?

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Turn the computer off, then when it is frst powerd on, and while the screen is black and before windows starts use ctrl-alt d (just the letter).

Yes the F12 will work. Once again, you will want to turn it off, then power it up, whille the screen is still black , just keep pushing the F12 key at the top of the keyboard.

Or you could just call Dell tech support, they will have you do what I have outlined for you anyway. But if you feel more comfortable, then please call them.

ZmOz

Captain

Just call the dell 800 number. A nice indian man named "Bob" will answer the phone. He will know everything there is to know about your particular computer. He will help you pinpoint the noise and decide whether something is wrong or not. If something is, you'll have a new hard drive Tuesday morning. And it won't cost a cent.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well I would do the obvious first before I sumbitted myself to the "customer service torture".

Get a big can of air and open up the computer. Clean all the air ducts, the cpu, the motherboard...... a small amount of dirt/dust will overheat these parts and the "xps cooling" fan will be trying to start. Depending on the age of the unit the keyboard might need a blast of air too.

If it does not work at least you will be sending dell a clean computer.

brokenoar

Cadet

Thanks every that replied. A new computer is promised.