industrial versions of 'Rust Doctor'?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Is anyone aware of an industrial version of the Rust Doctor product?

http://www.therustdoctor.com/prostores/servlet/StoreFront

I have about 3200 sq ft of surface rusty metal roof that I need to coat before the rust advances to the point that I need to put on an expensive new roof.

Currently this roof is not compromised by rust so I need to deal with it before that time comes. I cannot see applying any of the various roof coatings without tying up this rust first.

I have used Rust Doctor on rusty automotive parts and it seems to work well but to pay their price to cover 3200 sq ft would bankrupt me. I think their pricing simply reflects that they think that the product will be mostly used for small scale projects.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: industrial versions of 'Rust Doctor'?

My only experience is also on cars. It worked well for me in those instances, so I would assume it would do the job on a larger scale too. But yes, it would be cost prohibitive to do large areas with it. How about sandblasting it, then coating it? POR-15 is supposed to be good also, but at $500.00 for 5 gallons, I'd be sandblasting my butt off....Might try this product, but no first hand experience with it...

theruststore.com/Rust-Converter-Gallon-P40C10.aspx

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

POR 15 is also UV sensative so you'd have to coat IT with something as well. Pop coated the roof of our barn some 20 odd years ago with this silver slop (sorry, don't know the name) but it's still on there. He bought it at the local Co-Op. Maybe your's has something suitable as well?

spots

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Is 'rust doctor' a tannic acid solution?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]Is 'rust doctor' a tannic acid solution?

I think it's ingredients are proprietary. It does not claim to clean off the rust but to turn it into inert "magnetite- a very hard form of iron oxide"

My roof does not have scaley rust but a uniform coating that would take it's toll over time.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]The stuff I used to coat the frame of the houseboat was tannic acid, it's a 'converter' (iron oxide - iron tannate), a primer and a sealer.

I found it at a paint shop for $5 a litre (about $20 per gallon). Can't remember the name of it but I think it is the same stuff you are talking about.

The product in the link you posted is $96 per gallon. I googled
'rust converter' and the first hit was this -

http://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Converter-Gallon-P40C10.aspx

$42 per gallon.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys. I'll check around at my local paint specialties stores. It might be affordable after all.

I'd pressure wash the roof, let it dry, spray on the converter, let it dry then go after it with a yet to be identified top coat.

I've tried to find someone to do this for me, to no avail. One exception was a local outfit that wanted to apply a 'wetsuit' brand, get this, BLACK top coat. That's rich, that'd drive the temp up inside the iron box to kill and the tenants would want to kill me.

I have all the equipment (high buck sprayer and Pressure washers) so I might as well save a few bux and tackle it myself. It's only work!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

CN said:
POR 15 is also UV sensative so you'd have to coat IT with something as well. Pop coated the roof of our barn some 20 odd years ago with this silver slop (sorry, don't know the name) but it's still on there. He bought it at the local Co-Op. Maybe your's has something suitable as well?

spots

Spot's, any possibility to ask what the silver slop might have been?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry, the name escapes me, I was just a kid at the time. I remember it came in a 5 gallon bucket and he put it on with something that looked like a mop, almost like how you apply tar. It matched galvanized metal well but up close it looked as if it had been applied, well, with a mop.

spots

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The mystery silver stuff is aluminum roof coating. this product was intended for use with tar roofing but I have seen it used on metal with different levels of success.

KaGee

Admiral

Dunaruna said:
[colour=blue]The stuff I used to coat the frame of the houseboat was tannic acid, it's a 'converter' (iron oxide - iron tannate), a primer and a sealer.

I found it at a paint shop for $5 a litre (about $20 per gallon). Can't remember the name of it but I think it is the same stuff you are talking about.

$42 per gallon.

Would that work on my boat trailer without a ton of sandblasting? My trailer needs work, but I'd only have a week or so to do it. I'd have to put my boat in a slip and the bottom is not painted.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

KaGee said:
Dunaruna said:

$42 per gallon.

Would that work on my boat trailer without a ton of sandblasting? My trailer needs work, but I'd only have a week or so to do it. I'd have to put my boat in a slip and the bottom is not painted.

It may not make it pretty Kagee, but it will tie up the rust and keep it from growing under your paint job.

You do want to brush off any loose scaley rust. I first tried the 'Rust Doctor' on my 'new' 5.o liter for the Gulfstream. The block was never painted from the factory and had an even coating of rust all over it. With all the bumps, depressions and convolutions of a block, it was virtually impossible to clean off short of disassembling the engine and having the block hot tanked.

So far, after two winters of it sitting outside, sweating, the paintjob has held up excellently. Bond-o's rattle can job would have looked like heii by now.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Agreed, wire brush the loose stuff and de-dust and then give it a liberal coating of the converter stuff. Should last for years and years................

BTW, some of these rust converters actually work better when the rusty steel is wet - read the fine print on the can.

mscher

Lieutenant
Check this out

Check this out

Maybe you are worrying too much about the minor surface rust.

If I remember my military "corrosion control", a proper non-conducting sealant will stop rust from progressing.

Take a look at "Polar Seal". I have seen several DIY applications of this roof/sealant product with very good results. I think it was about $50 for 5 gallons.

http://polarsealinc.com/index.php

Link

Rear Admiral

Boom
I did several searches and this product came up several times.
Everything from barn roofs, home and RV
http://www.epdmcoatings.com/index.html

For cost effective I'm thinking like you.
Spray on primer to stop the rust
Spray on white top coat.

I put a white top coat on our black flat roof in 98 and it dropped the inside temp during the summer by 20 deg F

Seems extreme but here are the temps.
With torch down black roof
Outside temp 80 deg
Inside temp 90 deg

After putting white snow roof on

Outside temp 80 deg
Inside temp 70 deg

I'm not recommending snow roof as it is very expensive.
Only a white reflective cover.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Coors said:
phosphoric acid

Can you elaborate Coors? Does it tie up existing rust? If so, is there an ideal strength?

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]The rust removers that contain phosphoric acid usually don't also do priming and sealing. You would need additional products to finish the job.

i386

Captain

Ospho!
6944714.JPG