'97 force 120 wont stay running

toy_catfish

Cadet
The boat ran fine in the driveway the day before. When we went out the engine would not idle. On the way back in rpm would not go over 2300 and sounded like engine was bogged down. occasionly would rev back up to 5000 rpms run for a little while then stall. Now if I squeaze the primer bulb 3 times it will run for about 10 seconds then die. Engine sounds strong for those ten seconds then sputters and dies. I see no obvious fuel leaks.

OK..so I hooKed up a portable fuel tank and the motor started and ran, but only top two cylinders. bottom two have spark. looks like a whitish fluid leaking from bottom carb. bottom three cylinders all have same compresion with the top one being slightly less, but top cylinder fires and works fine. (if I pull the plug wire it stalls). (4 cylinders, two carbs) I'm thinking its somthing realy bad and I got hosed from the guy I bought the boat from. any help is greatly appreciated.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: '97 force 120 wont stay running

My first thought would regard water in the gas. The bowl of the upper carb should be easy enough to remove. See what's in it.

toy_catfish

Cadet
Re: '97 force 120 wont stay running

WillyBWright said:
My first thought would regard water in the gas. The bowl of the upper carb should be easy enough to remove. See what's in it.

thanks i pulled the bowl. looks like there might have been a few small drops of water. guess i'll attempt to drain the tank. see if that helps.