89 merc 5.7 steering not moving tilt not working help buying cheap boat mabey?

86bonito

Seaman
Im looking at a used 89 boat with a newer merc 5.7 with stated around 100 hrs. havent been to see it yet what should i look for concerning the steering porblem he states it will barley move and the tilt and trim wont work all enlse works moptot runs fine goes in and out of gears.
I wouldnt think it would be too expensiveto fix myself with the service manual.
any help or suggestions would help. I dont mind spending some money to get it right buy I do not want to spend a ton!
thanks brian.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: 89 merc 5.7 steering not moving tilt not working help buying cheap boat mabe

Re: 89 merc 5.7 steering not moving tilt not working help buying cheap boat mabe

When I bought my boat the steering was tight as well. The most common area it seizes up in is the tube at the back of the transom. You might simply disconnect the steering cable where it connects with the tiller arm at the back and see if the steering wheel turns easily then or not. While the tiller arm is disconnected see if the outdrive moves back and forth easily.

On my boat the outdrive pivot areas needed some "encouragement" with some heat and penetrating oil. After some use it freed up nicely.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What he said....
& does the tilt motor make any noise at all?
I would give a close eye for excessive corrosion on any external metal parts especially in salt water......JK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to a FREE online OEM service manual for your drive. It also includes the steering and trim. Just move your cursor around the cover and index to find the links.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

If your boat has power steering, the samething that fishermark mentioned can happen. Heat usually frees it up (Temporarily). What you need to do is pull the cable out and clean and lube that aluminum tube and keep it lubed.
This picture should help if you do have power steering.

Steering%20cable%20froze.png

86bonito

Seaman

Thanks guys
Don S a free shop manual! you are great thank you.
My buddy bougth the boat last night on e-bay.
23ft walkaround chaperral very clean in pictures.
Good deal I think $3500.
You probably be seeing me here once we get the boat I'll be picking it up next sat that will give me plenty of time to print and read the manual so I wont ask too many questions.
Thanks, Brian

DHPMARINE

Captain

I may be a bit late,but if the steering wheel moves OK,and the drive barely moves,you might need big work.

DHP