Maintenance Items - Johnson Ocean Pro

MrChuckFL

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Johnson 135 Ocean Pro that I just acquired. I don't know anything much about what if any maintenance was done by prior owner except that VRO was disconnected and stator replaced.

I am going to change the plugs and replace the waterpump / impeller just as some cheap insurance.

Are there any thing other manintenance items that I should also be doing / checking?

I would rather take the time and do it now rather than have it cost me more down the road.. or worse be left floating.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Maintenance Items - Johnson Ocean Pro

Hi MrChuck....

Got a few ideas for ya.....

Take compression readings on each hole and put them aside for future reference.....like right after you do a decarb. Easy to do and you will have a good idea of how the holes are holding up.

Check the spark at each hole....a good spark on your rig will jump a 1/2" gap with a thick lighting like spark. If your missing a spark, find out why.

Change out the gear lube and take a good look at the old lube. Check for water intrusion and sparklers (metal pieces....very small) in the oil. Looks OK...refill with a good quality lube.

Make sure the prop is in good shape with no big dings or any blade that has been raked. Stuff like this can throw the prop out of balance and vibrate the crap outta' the lower unit.....not a good thing.

Along with the new water pump...by the way...check the impeller plate for ware....if it's ringed pretty good, you might want to opt for a whole water pump kit......may think about new t-stats if your not sure the last time they've been replaced. Easy to change out.

Check the fuel lines and replace any that have become hard with use. Hard lines can lose their grip and suck air. Check connections are tight.

Get the OEM service manual for the engine. It'll give you specific info on your particular engine. The manual may cost a bit, but can save you large dollars for care and maint of the engine.

This should get you going. Once on the water, see how she responds through the throttle range and how it idles in gear.

And remember that the iboats forum is here to help you when ever you have a question.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check the lower unit oil, better yet, just go ahead and change it...watch as it drains to see if there are any strings of "milk" in the flow...indicates water...a little is ok in old oil but will require another check after say 10 hrs. If it comes back you need to pressure/vacumn check and find bad seal. Pull the prop and make sure no line behind prop and grease shaft. What year is motor? If equiped with warning system, I would ground sensors and make sure sounds alarm/lights. Have you run engine yet?

MrChuckFL

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the tips!

It is a 2001. I am going to crank it up over the weekend and see what happens.

I got a Clymer manual. It was the only one I could find at the local boat shops. It doesn't list my specific motor, but supposedly it covers all 2 stroke J/E outboards from 70-200hp.

Here is my list so far
- Water pump kit
- Plugs
- Compression test (what is a good number?)
- Change gear oil and inspect for metal and water
- Change fuel filter / seperator

I guess running some seafoam through it probably won't hurt either.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Chuck....the higher the compression numbers the better, but what you really want to look at is how close the readings on each hole are. The compression numbers on each hole should be within 10 > 15% of each other.

Please add spark test to the list. You can get an automotive spark tester from the auto parts store that will work fine.

And you're right, the seafoam won't hurt a bit....d:)

EDIT: Post the compression numbers here on the forums if not sure about them.

MrChuckFL

Seaman Apprentice

Spark plug tester.

They have a tool for that? We just used to use my brother. :devil: Here.. hold this for a minute...

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Chuck......you ain't right man.......:devil:d:)

Bruce San

Petty Officer 1st Class

My brother used me to check a magneto on a 250 dirt bike once........just once...