Washdown Pump Installation

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I`m going to be putting a washdown pump in this winter. I know you usually put the pick up in the side of the boat.There is a live well pump already installed but this pick up in not always in the water( not far enough below water line.) In order to get the inlet below the water line I have two options.
1. Put the pick up through the transom (while boat is moving will the washdown still get water?)
2. Through the bottom, not a big deal but is this O.K?
All suggestions welcome Thank You.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Washdown Pump Installation

Why would need to washdown while the boat is underway? Out the bottom is a really bad idea. The washdowns I've seen are connected to a freshwater tank. Your livewell inlet is above the waterline? Who install that? Or is it actually an overflow drain? Most livewell intakes are low on the transom near the drain plug. Most won't draw water with the boat on plane, but there are attachments that scoop water to it. Otherwise most livewells are fitted with recirculation pumps and livewell pumps are only used while stationary or trolling. I really don't recall a single boat with a water intake on the side and I've worked on tens of thousands by now. I've seen plenty with drains there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

don't know what you power train is, thru the transom, could pick up exhaust reside for the surface of the water. neither place is going to be adequate if under way.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

The pump thats there was there when I got the boat, You cant get the inlet any lower then it already is. I would like to wash down while underway because when you troll it can get messy. Some fish bleed alot and when fish are in the spread you dont want to stop. I know it doesnt have to work while underway but would like it to. I`m thinking I will go through the transom as this will only be used for salt water washdown only. Not live well so exhaust gasses are no big deal. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

when i said under way, i ment at speed, trolling you should be ok. sorry for the confusion.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats O.K no appology ness. My friend has a Contender and his pump works while doing 50 he must have the scoop like willy mentioned.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Mine is mounted thru the bottom of the boat as well as your buddys Contender. Mine uses a bronze thru hull scoop.

686a6e7a6a4e4f6b796d77356c415641775667-100x100-0-0.jpg

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

ReelPoor that looks like what I`m after. I assume I can pick that up just about anywhere?Thanks now I know what I`m looking for. It`s nice to be able to clean the fish on the way in saves time back at the dock.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Yes they are avaliable at most marine hardware stores. Be sur to mount a manual shut-off valve on top of it in case of hose failure. This on screws down onto the threaded portion of the thru hull and then is held stationary by three screws. This type makes the strongest installation avaliable.

37-7811501_0.gif

D

DJ

Do not use plastic fittings if going through the hull, to the bottom. Use the type (brass) shown above.

Also, if you trailer your boat, make sure the thru hull does not interfere with any trailer parts. That includes loading and unloading.

As stated, make sure you also install a "seacock" manual shut off. It should be metal also.