hydrofoil for water skiing??

200mark

Cadet
I have a Pride Panther with a '85 200hp Merc. I've got a 4 blade 18 pitch prop (alloy). The boat has a fair bit of Bow lift when taking off (towing skiier). Will a hydrofoil or Stabilizer fin help this? Is there a certain type that will help this? Also, I'm wondering if a hydrofoil will help with planing & cruising at lower revs & therefor use less fuel? Can you help with this? Thanks, Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: hydrofoil for water skiing??

A hydro foil is usually a poor choice.
Proper engine mounting height, and propping the boat for your max rpm range are better choices.
Then, if you are still in need of help, a set of Smart Tabs, (automatic self adjusting trim tabs) would be better.

The hydrofoils actually cause more problems than they cure.

So, is the motor mounted high enough so that the anti-ventilation plate is out of the water when the boat is on plane?

What are your WOT (wide open throttle) rpm's ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

most boat have a lot of bow lift when towing a tube or skier. i agree with the smart tabs.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Something else that helped me immensely was a ported prop. I assume the prop you mentioned is ported but if not, you might check with a prop shop about having it done. Getting the rpm's up early really helps the hole shot especially if your boat is a deep V or padded or both.

Mark

200mark

Cadet

thanks for that. Just that I had heard heaps about people using stabilizers/hydrofoils & seen a few on ski boats... I'll check the height of the motor...

200mark

Cadet

I checked the height of the motor.... the anti-ventilation plate is about 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the 'V' hull..is that right??? Also, would a 23inch prop be better when cruising & not towing skiers? the 18inch seems to rev a little high for barefooting and cruising, but great for wakeboarding, learner skiers and tubing etc... So, yeah looking for a good second prop for non-skiing/cruising days... any thoughts??? thanks

Also..... the WOT is around 6000rpm.... Actually have to back off when trimmed out at high revs as it keeps climbing.... but not real high speed at those revs (about 50mph or just under)...... what do ya think??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you're busting 6,000 a 19" to 20" you drop about 250rpms per inch up. it would still give you a good hole shot. on my 23' chris craft deck boat the difference between a 19 and 21 is noticable, in the hole shot. we use the 19 for tubing & sking, the 21 for crusing. although this is with 8 people on board.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't sound like your engine is too low; high if anything; hard to tell. If you have a high dead rise V you are probably where you want to be. If you aren't blowing out on hole shot I'd leave it alone, course I'm not the expert.

200 Merc for '94 shows 5000-5800 WOT. Yours is probably that too as I don't think those engines changed much in that era. I personally wouldn't worry about running 6000.

As many have said many times on here, better to be on top of the rpm's than under. I think the smart tabs help as many have testified having used them. You might go over to props and read through the archives about what different props do for and to bow lift.

Bow lift, at speed, is great; helps get the hull out of the water reducing drag and increasing mph.

My 2c,

Mark

200mark

Cadet

thanks heaps for the advice, Might look at a 21P for cruisin', and yh, I might check the props forum re this.... thanks again