Seloc Manuals

judavis126

Cadet
I am trying to fix my 1965 Merury 9.8hp. It needs a new impeller. Will this manual help with this repair and most other repairs.

Thanks

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seloc Manuals

Yes, just watch how you read it..they have a wide range of horsepower/model years ganged together in the Selocs and seem to bounce back and forth on procedures. I just got a Mercury manual for my 67 9.8..it was about the same as the Seloc that I got for my 98 25 Mariner..it has 67-73 3.9-115hp in it. I was pretty dismayed since the OMC manual I got for my 30 Johnson was way more specific.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is my humble input...

I bought three shop manuals (Seloc, Clymer, and Mercury ) for my 1996 150hp V6 outboard. My wife thought I was crazy but I found that it was well worth the extra expense. While I found that each manual is good with much similarity between them, there are differences between them too. One might have better or more pictures/drawings while another might have more detailed written text on a partiular topic. On another topic, it might be a different manual that is better. One manual might even cover a particular topic where the other two did not (e.g., ignition switch testing was only covered in the Merc manual).

Which manual is better in my opinion? It depends on what you want to do at the time. I played is safe and got all three manuals so that I would have the best possible information available (aside from this forum) when I troubleshoot a problem or perform a repair. The extra cost is negligible compared to the time and stress saved doing the work the right way and with less uncertainty when doing a particular repair or troubleshooting.

PS: If I had to pick only one manual, it would be the Mercury manual.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Just for an impeller fine, rebuild the powerhead another story