1990 evinrude 140 spark only in one cyl.

mieyk

Cadet
-all 4 coils tested ok.
-replaced bad timer base. the new one checks out fine. lowest reading on the 5 pin connector reads 1.4 and the highest is 1.5 on the dva. no conductors are grounded.
-replaced power pack.
-charge coil checks out fine at 220v. not grounded out.

what else could it be? i only get a spark on the upper left cylinder (2). any suggestions? i get the same problem with the old timer base and powere pack. even with everything disconnected but the power pack, timer base, charge coil, and coils i get the same problem.

could i have gotten a bad power pack? or could something else be causing this?

help!!!
Mike A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.

Walker

Captain
Re: 1990 evinrude 140 spark only in one cyl.

Maybe your starter is not getting you high enough starting rpms. Remove all the sparkplugs and do a spark test again.

mieyk

Cadet

already tried that. even tried a new battery and still nothing.

any other ideas?

thanks,
mike

rbbrox

Seaman

New starter sounds reasonable, what rpm's are you getting on cranking? Did you get a new starter already?how do your battery cables look.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

if you have 220 v from the charge coil going in the capasitor of the pack, and all your trigger leads have 1.4 v , test the output of the primairy wires.
they should be about the same as the charge coil coming in the pack. about 220 v still use dva adapter. peak volts.

if you do not get any duce from the pack eccept from only 1 i think your pack is bad or it grounds out somewere.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

yep the coils input aka the power pack output

mieyk

Cadet

i only get a reading on one of the power pack outputs and thats the coil thats working. but get this. the new power pack does the same thing.

when i first got the boat, the guy said it had a bad power pack. i replaced it without checking the timer base and same scenario. when i checked the timer base it checked bad so i replaced it. now with a good timer base and new power pack i get the same thing.

any chance that the old timer base blew the power pack?
it checked fine except the blue wire on the 5 pin had no reading (volts or resistance) and wasnt grounded out. i dont understand how that would blow it. but could it? what would you do?A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.

jlwest63

Seaman Apprentice

Do it use the optical LED sensor for timing? If so check to make sure it is not falling down to far.

When you are turning it over try picking up on the LED sensor and see if you get fire to all the plugs.

mieyk said:
i only get a reading on one of the power pack outputs and thats the coil thats working. but get this. the new power pack does the same thing.

when i first got the boat, the guy said it had a bad power pack. i replaced it without checking the timer base and same scenario. when i checked the timer base it checked bad so i replaced it. now with a good timer base and new power pack i get the same thing.

any chance that the old timer base blew the power pack?
it checked fine except the blue wire on the 5 pin had no reading (volts or resistance) and wasnt grounded out. i dont understand how that would blow it. but could it? what would you do?A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

so if im correct you didnt get any readings from 3 of the for primary wires from the pack?
correct?

you did get output from the trigger on every led 1.4 v
correct?
exept the bleu one.
i believe the white one in the middle is your return.

double check the trigger and check the output from your stator again.
the charge coil to the pack. in dva.

i dont think the trigger will blow a pack but the charge coil in the stator could be responsible for this.

sounds trigger is bad - no reading on bleu

sound pack is bad - input on 3 leads and only output on 1.

double check all your readings. and post them here.

output loaded / unloaded
ohms
short to ground

charge coil .

trigger cyl

pack output

all in peak volts and ohms

loaded = connected
unloaded= disconnected

reeldutch

Lieutenant

oh yeah check all the connectors these pins might not make contact, they are known for that.

ccnstlr

Seaman

Sounds like sensor coil issue. If charge coils are charging but nothing out of pack then either bad pack or sensor coils it would seem.

mieyk

Cadet

seems as if the motor knomes are at it again.
walked outside today to test the connections and before i touched anything i checked for spark one last time.
now i have spark on all 4. wtf? could it have something to do with the lunar phases or alignent of the planets?

it pretty much fired right up after i put the plugs back in. it was a hot day (85 at 1:30) could that have something to do with it? same battery i bought when i first posted this thread one week ago. maybe something was loose and i unknowingly wiggled it back into place.
will it happen again? i dont know.

what do you think?

---A BAD DAY OF FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK.---

reeldutch

Lieutenant

yep i gues something is loose.

check all the connectors and grounds.