NEED HELP WITH GAUGES 1981 GLASTRON-CARLSON C-500

Captain NEMO

Cadet
hello guys my name is Daniel im in SAN ANTONIO TEXAS.
i have just gotten my hands on a GOOD 1981 Glastron-Carlson C-500 METRIC SERIES..its got a JOHNSON V4 115HP Outboard..
now my question is where can i find a wiring diagram of the gauges so i know what wires go where..?
i've got a FUEL, TRIM, RPM's, AND MPH. i need help figuring out what color wires go where...
engine runs great but i have not taken it out on the water yet..
im redoing the floor and little things here and there..
im trying to get the RPM'S to work and the TRIM to work also...
there are 3 wires coming from the control panel on the side under the key ignition they are BLACK PURPLE and GRAY...
then there are 2 wires coming of the handle for forward and reverse where the trim is locate and they also go under the dash and they are WHITE and BLACK..
on the gauge them self they both have a L for LIGHT and a I for IGNITION a G for GROUND and a S for SENDER..
my question is what goes where?
thank you and anyinfo would be great...
"WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT"

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: NEED HELP WITH GAUGES 1981 GLASTRON-CARLSON C-500

[colour=blue]Hi Daniel, me again!

You already know about the tach. Let's take a look at the trim - black is ALWAYS ground unless someone has played with the wiring and not adhered to code. Take a really good close look at the black & white wires - do they have stripes? They can often be badly faded.

Captain NEMO

Cadet

yes now that i looked the trim has a BLACK with WHITE stripe and a ALL WHITE WIRE....
thank you

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]On the trim gauge - purple to 'I', tan/white to 'S', Black/tan to 'G'.

What year is the motor? Serial/model number?

Captain NEMO

Cadet

1981 johnson J115TLCNB
but there are 2 wires come of the Control consle on the right hand side that go under to the Dash and the to the TRIM GAUGE
Those 2 WIRES ARE WHITE and BLACK with a WHITE STRIPE..
ON the back of the TRIM GAUGE theres a L,I,G and S..
so im guessing that L is POWER for the LIGHT the I is POWER for the Gauge the G is Ground for the Gauge and S is the SIGNAL from the TRIM and then what, im lost .. or is my wires wrong and its all stock wiring under the dash nothing has been chaged..it just that its all loose and i want it to all work right..

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]
Captain said:
ON the back of the TRIM GAUGE theres a L,I,G and S..
so im guessing that L is POWER for the LIGHT the I is POWER for the Gauge the G is Ground for the Gauge and S is the SIGNAL from the TRIM and then what, im lost ..

That's all there is, what you have listed is everything you need. What we need to do now is find out what the white and black/white stripe is for. So far, I can find no reference to those colors. I'm still looking.

You already have a purple (12v ignition hot) and a ground. Those two wires daisy chain from one gauge to the next.

Captain NEMO

Cadet

yes i got the PURPLE wire to go FROM gauge to Gauge and then the BLACK wire to do the same...
but then i've got 4 wire that i don't know where they go.. the words in the () is what i think they are...

a BLACK wire (RPM SIGNAL)
a WHITE wire (TRIM)
a BLACK/WHITE STRIPE (TRIM)
a GRAY wire... (RPM)

BUT i don't know what goes were...
how to i find out what is what?
or CAN you LET me the PROPER WAY of RUNNING THE WIRES...and there colors...
this is how my DASH looks

from left to right....

SWITCHES
running lights/ancor lights 6 wires
horn 2 wires
acc 2 wires

Gauges
SPEEDO TRIM RPM'S FUEL
G, L G,L,I,S G,L,I,S G,L,I,S

Captain NEMO

Cadet

anyone? i think that if i check the resistance of the Black/White stripe and the White wire that go to the trim then ill know which one go on the S for the trim gauge right?
then if i turn the engine on and touch every loose wire to the S on the RPM gauge and it comes on the i know which one is the right one..
what do you guys think?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is a wiring diagram for a "generic" instrument panel. Wire colors shown (except for 12V and ground) are not the same as the marine wire code -- they were chosen simply for contrast in the drawing. As for the letter designators you show -- here's what they mean:
"G" = ground, "L" = instrument light, "I" = +12V from ignition switch (active only when key is on). "S" = sense (temp sender, fuel sender, oil pressure, tach, etc). When wiring switches, each switch has a 12V feed from the fuse panel to one terminal on the switch. The other terminal feeds 12V to the device the switch controls. The ground wire from each device must come back to the ground buss at the fuse panel. Switches are never wired into the ground wired. Your light switch (NAV/ANCHOR is a special switch and I can't help you with that unless I see it.

InstrumentPanelWiring.jpg

Captain NEMO

Cadet

ok great so now im going to do all the Rewiring and the way it shows on the diagram..
ok so i got the Light power and Ground..
now as for the Tach where does that signal come from ..
Like in a Car it Cames from the DISTRIBUTOR..but since i have coil packs what color would that wire be..
i have located the Trim piece as for how it is read by the OUTBOARD...
if i can take any picture this week i we post them up so you can see the MESS..
Thank you very much ..
Daniel
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

On a boat, if its an outboard engine it comes from the rectifier or regulator since outboards generate AC power that is converted to DC and then regulated to charge the battery. The AC pulses are counted and converted to RPM by the tach. Again, if you have an outboard, with a conventional side mount control box, check the box itself or the harness for a plug. That plug has a gray wire in it which is the tach signal. The wire from the temperature sensor on the engine is easy to identify -- find the sensor on the engine and note the wire color. My diagram does not show a trim gauge but it is wired in the same manner as say a fuel gauge or tach. It will have an "S" "G", "I" and "L" terminals just like the others. The "S" terminal is fed by the trim position sender on the engine. If you have trouble with the NAV/ANCHOR light post a picture of the switch and its contacts and I can help you with that. Otherwise I can provide a diagram on how to wire a conventional three position, (ON-OFF-ON) switch available at Radio Shack. When you wire that switch, remember that at anchor (or otherwise stationary) only the stern light is to be lit. Under way, both the bow and stern light must be on. It takes a special switch or an inexpensive diode and a conventional switch to do that.

Captain NEMO

Cadet

great now i do rememder the Gray wire...for the tach..
and as for the Trim i will look at that this week and i will have pictures ready for you..i will also take pictures of the switch too.
thank you for all you help and can you post that diagram of the ON-OFF-ON switch...
Thank you again for all your help...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go. Note the direction the diode is installed. The diode is required on this simple On-off-On switch to provide proper stern only (ANCHOR) or bow and stern (NAV) light function. The special switches normally used for this purpose have two sets of contacts to perform the function.
NavSwitch.jpg

Captain NEMO

Cadet

ok cool im in the Process of redoing my whole floor so once i get that taken care off i will redo all of the wiring and make it nice and neat like your diagrams show..
thank you very much
HAPPY NEW YEAR..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Turn the diode around. I drew it bass-ackwards. At anchor, only the stern light should be on. Underway (NAV) both should be on.