Conspiracy Theory?

SoulWinner

Commander
The other day I was talking with some folks and somehow the topic wondered to the illnesses that have been sweeping cruise ships. I got to thinking that we never used to hear about things like this, or the contaminated spinach or the recent problem with Taco Bell. At Least not before 9-11. But this isn't one of those stories that we only hear about because of technological developments in communications. Remember Typhoid Mary?

So I asked, what if you wanted to study various aspects of biological warfare in a strictly controlled setting. One where you can monitor virtually every movement of a given population and see how a germ is spread, how robust it is in the environment, how overtaxed medical facilities respond, how the general population responds. On a cruise ship everyone has cards with which they buy their meals and drinks, access their quarters etc; so the individual movements of the people can be closely tracked. Also various surveillance systems on board ship can be utilized for this purpose. Also, the general supply of food and drink can be monitored. Medical facility response can be measured on a minute basis. Public reaction to infection and propaganda can gadged. All this could easily be done with the resources available to the US government (or any first world country government) within the confines of a ship that is not flagged in the US(I am not aware of any cruise ships flagged and registered in the US).

So, if a government faced credible terrorist threats of biological warfare attack, and that government entity wished to perform experiments in order to formulate tactical responses to such an attack, what would be better than unleashing bugs on a controlled microcosm such as a cruise ship; or with a specific article such as spinach?

Now, I don't believe any of this; I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but it IS fun to imagine. And I do remember the Tuskegee experiments.......

bekosh

Lieutenant
Re: Conspiracy Theory?

If there is any "conspiracy" going on about this, I think it is the goverment covering up that we have been attacked with bio-weapons. There's 2 reasons they would cover it up.

1. It's been pretty ineffective and they don't want to start a panic.

2. If we have been attacked with non-convential weapons, US policy would be to respond in kind and that would mean nuclear. Nobody wants that.

That crazy enough for you?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Maybe that John Connor clown could make a story of this? He could interview Cher or Gary Coleman to get to the bottom of it. 8)

JRJ

Commander

Could it be more than just poor hygiene?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think Cruise ship stuff and Taco Bell incidents have been going on for ever and this is nothing new or different. There is not only better ways for the press to communicate but more of them too. My guess is that it was not considered as much of a story when 400 out of 3200 got "food poisoning". Now it's an "Outbreak of flu-like symptoms" or sexy names like E Coli. The press wants you to think we don't know why people are getting sick. Then you'll "tune in at 11" to find out if and when you're gonna die. That's my spin, and they and I apply the same to Global Warming.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Has anybody ever ate at TacoBell and not gotten the runs?

tommays

Admiral

They no longer report news they make up sound bites to get you to watch because your scared :)

Tommays