OK WHERE THE *&@# DID THE SCREW GO?

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Taking off the air silencer box and one of the screws slipped thru my cold numb fingers. I have searched everywhere in the engine compartment (took off carbs and starter so I could see pretty much everywhere) and it is nowhere to be found. I am thinking it must have escaped down the shift rod tube. If it did, will it cause me any problems if I just leave it til the next time I have the lower unit off?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: OK WHERE THE *&@# DID THE SCREW GO?

Probably did and probably not.

Murphy's Law for Mechanics: Anything dropped WILL find it's way to the oil drain pan. If there is none, the least accessible crevace is the default.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL aint dat da truth!!! Thanx for the quick response Willy...Another question...reading the manual it states when taking off air box to discard screws and gasket. Do not reuse either component. I did discover that the screws are apparently stainless (they are not attracted by my magnetic probe). Is that an absolute not to reuse?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Disregard that advice which was inserted by the wish of a screw manufacturer. It never ceases to amaze me... the useless info that finds its way into manuals.

If there's any danger of having a screw, bolt, whatever come loose that might find its way into the internal workings of a engine, clean the item and apply a drop of Loc-Tite to it.

Also... if the gasket is intact, reuse it.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanx for the info Joe....most appreciated. Unfortunately all the loc-tite in the world would have saved that screw from my clumsy fingers.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

It probably just fell into the lower housing, where it will do zero harm. Be nice to at least tell us just what the heck motor it is.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ooops good point Scaatv...its a 96 48 HP SPL.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Well, my guess is (I usually toss an old nut down there for good luck, so I won't drop one I need) don't sweat it.