Heads up on J6C plugs...

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Well, I need a starter for my van, and while at Auto Zone, grabbed a couple extra J6C plugs for some of my smaller OB's . Saw "Marine" right on the puter screen. Came home, and they both have full length electrodes. All my other 2 cycle plugs are half length. Any idea why/when the change? Been awhile since I bought any small J6's.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Heads up on J6C plugs...

Don't know, but I have subsituted long electrodes in a lot of engines (different types of engines) and found that I got much better performance. Maybe they did it for that reason; but you'd think they would change the numbering.............I think I used J6J's, not J6C's. Don't remember running that plug but the J6J's were short electrodes (up inside the shell).

Mark

ted655

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bud repairs small engines. To keep the customer happy he installs the prescribed short plugs. For his own use & close friends, we all use automotive plugs. Last longer, start better, run better. Just looks strange. BUT... some have a longer reach that can collide with the piston, so that has to be watched for.

Paul Moir

Admiral

A shorty J6 is CJ6 rather than the full length J6C. Or are you talking about the ground electrode which is a little shorter on the old J6J than the J6C? Up here I've never seen a shorty J6 that was labeled J6C.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I got an old full size J6C...short ground electrode-2 cycle

New J6C is full size too, but covers the center electrode.

CJ6 shorty is full cover too.

Not a big deal, but the theory (or so I thought), was the half coverage would foul less in a 2 cycle, but what the heck do I know I'm waiting on a brand new camera today...I'll take a pic when it gets here.

Laddies

Banned

Scatty, I think It's been about 10 years the last short ground electriodes were J6J the front J is for 3/8 reach and the latter J for the 2 cycle electroide Champion said at the time with a copper center electriode there was no need for the short grounds. I personal think thats BS , that the reason was cheap but us old guys don't mean much to the beancounters--Bob

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Got the new camera! What a beauty!

Also have some old AC M44C plugs, and those are short grounds. Anyway ..

Heres 2 pix. No J6J's here...both J6C, except for the left, which is a new CJ6 shorty. My take is its money saved in production, plain and simple.

Long as were at it, any problem running the shorty CJ6 in old 3hp "Weedless", and 2hp Rude "Mates"?

S5300992-1.jpg

S5300991-1.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well I'm gonna guess the the long insulators are a fall back to the old days prior to having boots on the high voltage lead. You needed to allow adequate distance for what's referred to as "high voltage creep". Seems that once something works, it takes forever to introduce something new.....disc brakes, electronic ignitions, fuel injection........................

With current engine designs, with the electrodes covered and in some engines with silicon boots that fit real tight and stay supple, there is no reason for as long a creep path.

But I wasn't talking about that end. I was talking about what ted referred to and that was the part of the insulator in the combustion chamber and relocating the sparking part deeper into the combustion chamber for better all around interaction.

Mark

Paul Moir

Admiral

Weird. I've got a couple J6Cs fresh in their packs like the one pictured above. One covers the electrode fully and the other is about 3/4 like the old ones. Both have the same part numbers and as far as I can tell the same date codes.

But they both say "Hencho en Mejico" so perhaps that's a clue. File to fit I suppose. ;)

I've never tried the shortys but I can't see why they wouldn't work. Just as long as you've got a J6 in there somewhere and no Rs or Qs. :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hencho en Mejico""

AHA! Problem solved Paul.....get the file out!

Mark, I'm going have to start a new thread on long and short plugs....I know zip about plugs and electricity and insulaters.... ('cept they are made somewhere south of me!)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That's right about the short electrode being less prone to fouling. The 6 runs hotter than the original specified 4 which also reduces fouling. But those days left when we stopped dumping a quart of motor oil in 6 gallons of leaded gas. You're not going to harm anything by running a bit hotter plug with a shortened ground electrode, but you'll gain no real advantage anymore. I recommend the J4C for all that call for it, with the exception of those that mostly run slow (kickers). But don't lose any sleep over wutcha got now. :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Have had 0 problems with things built south of the border. My '98 Dodge truck was built there and 100,000 miles later, the only thing I had to replace (recently) was the fuel gauge sending unit cause I keep the tank at the same level (approx) and I live on a rock road.

Mark