1982 75HP Evinrude help !!!!!

bizkit30044

Cadet
Hello everyone I think this is only my 2nd post here. Anyways I recently bought a 1982 Cimmarron w/ a 1982 75HP Evinrude. I don't really have much experience ( ok none ) with outboard engines. I took it out for the first time last weekend and it started up just fine. I trolled out of the marina and went to give it more throttle and nothing happened. It just cruised along at about 5 mph. Oh I left out that when I slipped it into reverse it sounded like it was backing but it wasn't moving. Also I noticed that when running a steady stream of water shoots out of the side ( I guess from the water pump), well about every minute or so the stream stops and mist or steam comes from the engine where the stream should be, does this mean the water pump is shot ? And does anyone have a clue what is going on before I go to a repair shop and sell my house for repairs.

Thanks in advance !

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 75HP Evinrude help !!!!!

Hey Bizkit

If it has sat for awhile, you can bet the waterpump needs to be replaced (as steam is not a good sign), as well as the carbs need cleaning and kits put in them. Best to do this anyway if you don't know the last time it was done. After you get the waterpump in, the next time out see if pumping the fuel primer bulb helps. If so, your fuel pump may be bad or you may have an air leak in the fuel line or fittings. If not, I'd clean the carbs... Replacing the bulb and fuel lines would be a good idea, too. (Use an OMC bulb, not the ones from Walmart) And of course a Manual is a must have...

bizkit30044

Cadet

I went to the iBoats store and was searching for the carb kits. I noticed there were 2 different types 1 has a float and 1 doesn't. Are they the same kit just no float in 1 ? I think I would prefer to replace the floats if it is an option. I guess my question is, will both kits work on my engine or is each kit for 2 different engines ? Also, would anyone else replace the floats as well ?

bizkit30044

Cadet

Also for the water pump repair kit do I get 1 with the housing or without ?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Since the unit is new to you,I'd go for full kits in both cases.Then you will know what you have.I think you have to do this much before you diagnos much further.

At that point I suspect you'll need a new throttle cable (do the shift cable at the same time).The stream out the side is called your tell-tale.Pumping and then not indicates you'll also be doing some thermostat work.

But do the carbs and waterpump first,so you can accurately complete diagnosing.

DHP

bizkit30044

Cadet

ok, I have located all the parts I believe I am going to need (at least to get started). The only thing I am having trouble with is locating a place to purchase the throttle and shift cables ( preferrably online ). If anyone knows a site or maybe even a part # I can get started with it would be great.

carb kits - $12.49 ea
water pump kit - $36.14 ea
thermostat kit - $12.72 ea
shift cable - ?
throttle cable - ?

NealLauderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bizkit... I am fairly new just like you but one thing I have learned by experience is that...

Before you pour all kinds of money into the engine, do a compression test on it! That will tell you if your going to need to do a rebuild.

You can get a compression tester from walmart for like $22. You can always return it afterwards :p

bizkit30044

Cadet

I was told the compression is supposed to be between 120 and 130, is that correct ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Support our host. Get the cables right here at iboats. The other stuff too.

bizkit30044

Cadet

I'm not gonna spend money somewhere just to spend it. Especially if someone else has a better deal. If iBoats wants too match their price I would be more than happy to purchase everything from them, but I can't spend extra money just because they have a forum. And further more I have purchased previous items through the iBoats site, as stated in the earlier post above.