boat upolstry

boatingman

Recruit
I have a 1991 bayliner 2050 and the upolstry is all ripped up I would like to get it redone but I'm not sure if I should do it my self or have a place do it. What do you think? I think it would be a big job to do it myself but i dont know. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to have someone do it?

KRS

Banned
Re: boat upolstry

just gotta find a shop and take it in for an estimate.

My 16' was $3000 estimated.

My wife and I took one piece at a time and started redoing them, using upoholstery and a sewing machine... it was fun and we saved money.

It's not perfect, but it left more money for boating.

As for paying someone else to do it or do-it-yourselfing-it.... that just depends on which of those two people you are.

Good luck and don't forget to give us some pics.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you decide to do your own upholstery, you will need a commercial walking foot sewing machine. I picked up a Consew with reverse on Ebay for a good price.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i sewed mine on a 1953 singer. still using it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A commercial sewing machine is not necessary but nice if you have access to one. However a good quality, metal gear type older standard machine like a Sears Kenmoore will work fine. I make my boat covers, seat covers, and all sorts of protective bags and covers using a hand me down Kenmoore. It will handle three and four layers of vinyl with a heavy backing with no problem. Use "leather" needles and use a silicone spray on the machine to help vinyl slide better if you sew face out. A tip: Don't destroy the old covers. Take them apart carefully, note how they are put together, and use the pieces for patterns. Any "discount" fabric warehouse in most larger towns have vinyl on the bolt for reasonable prices. For heavens sake don't buy it at a regular fabric shop or you'll pay a fortune for it. Make sure it has a good backing. The thicker the better. Practice a little before you get serious. Buy a bunch of straight pins as you will need to pin the pieces together then sewing. Makes a much nicer job and you don't have any slippage.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The problem with using a home machine is that you really can't put a needle in it that can handle a #92 thread. You can certainly sew it up with a smaller thread but the thread won't last. In addition, you need to use polyester thread.

You can buy vinyl at a good price at Rochford Supply. I buy most of my upholstery items through John Boyle but you have to have a commercial account there.

jesparza

Recruit

I've taken on the task of re-upholstering my 98 Renken 255MC as a winter project. I've decided to redo the seats in vinyl leather ($10.00/yd at Joann Fabrics). Realized I had a larger problem when I removed the old vinyl, the wood frame was badly deteriorated. So, I rebuilt the frames. This project is still ongoing.

I realize Renken went OOB in 95, United Marine continued building Renkens til 98. Who holds the rights to Renken, probably under another name? I need to find replacement hinges for the back-to-back lounge seats and the aft bench. So far I have had very little luck in finding this information.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I disagree Bruce. The cover on my previous boat (now owned by my daughter and son-in-law) is now nine years old, sits outside, and has not lost one seam. I might add the cover is trailered at freeway speeds and no straps are needed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Silvertip said:
I disagree Bruce. The cover on my previous boat (now owned by my daughter and son-in-law) is now nine years old, sits outside, and has not lost one seam. I might add the cover is trailered at freeway speeds and no straps are needed.

Silvertip...not sure what to say. The fact that no straps are needed probably means that you couldn't put proper tie down points on if you wanted to. I have yet to see a boat cover that did not need tie down points that was over 16' in length if you are going to tow with it on.

When I do a boat cover using Sunbrella(Is that what you used), the tie downs are sewn on using a folded piece of Sunbrella into a triangle and then sewn onto the flap that holds the draw string rope. Sewing this requires the machine to sew through 6 layers of fabric. There is no way you can possibly do that with a home machine.

On snap in cockpit covers i have one layer of sunbrella, one layer of reinforcement webbing, and a double fold binding. Even my commercial machine is slowing down through this stuff and I would really doubt you could find a binder that can handle binding for Sunbrella for a home machine.

My point is you use the right tool for the job. If you don't use the right tool you have to compromise the quality or the function of the item that results.

mtp

Cadet

I - I've done both. It's a time, love and money issue. The 'right' machine is critical. But you can buy 'big eye' needles for almost all machines (they make them for us oldies with reduced close up vision). Also upholstery grade needles are available. If you have to buy a machine - take samples of what you want to sew and the thread. Watch the fabric and foam. Closed cell foam doesn't soak water up, but is 'harder', comes invarious grades of soft -firm- extrafirm. Sunbrella has UV stabilizers, but stiff, marine naugahide is available. Think about where you'll have the cusions-in, out??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go. Total cost is less than $50 bucks (but I admit, I have an "in" for the material).
BoatCover.jpg

The secret in not requiring straps is to study the boat and figure a way to avoid the lifting effects of the air as it passes over the boat. Removing the windshield is one way. This cover has two pieces. One is a small nose bra that has two bungees to secure the tails. This boat also has a trolling motor on a quick release bracket . The main cover can then be installed at night without removing the motor. You can bounce a quarter a foot high on that cover. It actually sucks down at speed rather than ballooning since no air can get under it. The cover is made with very heavy vinyl which works well in this case since the boat is garaged when not in use so condensation is not an issue. Vinyl can streatch a bit so that's also a plus. The seams are treated regularly with Camp Dry (silicone spray). The cover for my last boat was made with the same material and included a built-in piece that covered the trolling motor. That cover and this one include a fitted hood for the engine. I will agree that every boat cover cannot get by without straps. My reasoning for avoiding them is that the boats I see with so called "custom" covers generally have scuff marks in the paint where the straps flutter. It also takes a fraction of the time to put on than one with a bunch of straps and as I mentioned, it can be used at the dock. Any material and any construction technique will probably work for a mooring cover. Making one that can stand up to freeway speeds -- straps or not -- takes some thought. I'm sure yours work well. As with anything man made, there are alternatives.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is what I am referring to with a boat cover that needs tie downs. I am sure you don't need much on a boat that is pretty much completely flat.

I always use Sunbrella because the fabric can breathe so no mold can grow in the boat. Here is a pic of a cover I did.

boat_cover.jpg

Also, tiedowns are necessary on a cover like this to keep water from pooling on the cover. On this cover, the tiedowns pull the material tight as a drum and the water just rolls off.

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As far as the reupholstering of the seats I just kept shopping around my local area and found a guy that would do them for $400. in fact I go to pic them up tomorrow he just called and said they were done. I'm excited to see how they look.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can save a lot on upholstery work by taking all the seats and panels out and bring them to the upholsterer.

boatingman

Recruit

boatingman said:
I have a 1991 bayliner 2050 and the upolstry is all ripped up I would like to get it redone but I'm not sure if I should do it my self or have a place do it. What do you think? I think it would be a big job to do it myself but i dont know. Does anyone know about how much it would cost to have someone do it?

boatingman

Recruit

I have tried to add some pics but i cant get it to work. Any sugestions to get them to work

calvinman

Seaman

Hello everyone,

My wife has been an upholserer for over 20 years now (residential), but we have done a few boats over the years.

If the vinyl is worn out on your boat the foam under the seats is probably also done, use the densist foam you can find. Your plywood backings will probably be rotted also. We used pressure treated plywood to replace, someone else here may have a better suggestion on what to use.

Make sure you don't scrimp on the vinyl you use, we did a boat for a friend of ours who insisted on finding his own vinyl and it has faded after only one year of use.

As someone suggested, take the old coverings off and use them as templated for new material. You may also want to cut the material that is stapled to the bottom longer, of sew cheaper material there to allow you to get a good hold for stretching the material. You want it tight or it will go baggy on you.

When you have to slide the covers on your seats, use silicone spray on the foam/dacron to allow it to slip on. Dacron can be glued on over the foam for a nicer finish, this also lets the vinyl slide better.

Start on the easiest cusion (small and square) to get the hang of it. you can even get some cheaper material to practice with, but the cheap stuff does not stretch as nicely as the expensive stuff.

Hope you get those pictures posted, would like to see how bad they are.