Gel replacing carpeted floor..... Psst ondarvr

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I have been seriously thinking about pulling up the carpet on a boat and gelling the floor, what has tempered my enthusiasm is finishing the floor (sanding) to a acceptable level.

Cruising restoration's i came across the ideal of just laying down a plastic or polymer sheet and eliminating hour's and hour's of prep ( lazy bugger huh)

Seem's simple enough, just glass down the sheet, im sure there would be just a minor amount of imperfection's to deal with, quick shot of gel and Poof im done.

Ok now can some one poke a few hole's in this hair brainer for me??????????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gel replacing carpeted floor

I would Rhino Coat it without a second thought.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

JB said:

I had given that some very serious thought, but from what i have seen in the auto ind aka truck bed's that stuff fades badly or goes to yellow in just a few year's

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tail, There is marine floor vinyl that you can glue down. It looks pretty good.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Chris1956 said:
Tail, There is marine floor vinyl that you can glue down. It looks pretty good.

??? Noutolex ?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

TUFF COAT. Available at Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas. Better color selection at BPS.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tail_Gunner said:
JB said:

I had given that some very serious thought, but from what i have seen in the auto ind aka truck bed's that stuff fades badly or goes to yellow in just a few year's

Rhino makes a product to renew the stuff..... I believe it's just thick polyurethane paint?

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

What I am going to do when I get my new floor in is gelcoat. I want a textured/non-skid surface so I am going to thicken the gelcoat with cabasol (to ketchup consistancy) and roll it on with a roller. It will orange peel and create the texture I want.

I would think that the only sanding you would need after ripping up the carpet is to remove the carpet glue and to scuff the glass.

-JMW

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I like JustMrWill's plan the best.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes that does sound simple enough..........the bow has a liner in it already and the walk area is roughed up....hmmm i'm gonna edit this post and see if i can ondarvr to weigh in on this. Thank's guy's

CodyGrizz

Seaman
Re: Gel replacing carpeted floor..... Psst ondarvr

That sounds actually nice..easier to maintain than carpet..most likely more durable. And I mean we walk around the beach barefoot..this couldn't be much more harsh. So what..maybe peplace the floor, glass it in, paint it to the color desired, then add gelcoat and spread?

I also wonder like others, would a high texture roller you get at like Home Depot work well to give it the needed texture? Be nice to find something easy to clean..durable..ok for the feet..and colored. I dont think I would want to Rhino my boat as I have it in my truck bed and it aint the nicest on the feet..I would hate to see what it would do to a knee if someone fell from a wave or wake!