Just about finished breaking-in DF9.9... I have some questions...

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Love my new DF9.9 but :
1. Temperatures just above freezing and it takes 10-15 pulls to start cold and then it runs rough. After warm up runs great and 1/2 pull will start it. Is this normal ?
2. Top speed is reached when I get the throttle about 3/4 opened after that there is no change in speed. Why ?
3. When getting the boat down and slowing down, high wave will chase me and I have to slowly "run" away from it or it would flood the inflatable over the transom. What is the cause for this ?

Picure of the boat
Nov06005.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just about finished breaking-in DF9.9... I have some questions...

cold starting requires choking, auto choke on car, primer on boat, as far as the throttle, probably an adjustment, should be taken up with dealer under warranty. swamping when slowing move your big butt to the bow, stearn heavy, tiller extension

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm, I have tho choke on when starting cold ...
How much should I pump the priming bulb ? ( manual indicates until I feel resistance... is that enough ?)
The motors anticavitation plate is about 2" below the bottom of the boat, will this affect the swamping ? Is it worth to move it higher ?
Forgot one more question :) The pee stream out of the engine is ice cold all the time, is this because of the cold weather ?

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm not that familar with the newer engines, and especially with it under warranty. i have always pumped my bulbs until hard, not firm. raise the motor so the plate is even or above the bottom of the boat. being that low adds additional drag, and reduces performance. whether it will help the swamping i don't know. almost any small boat with a low transom can be swamped in a quick stop. i've had boats that when i cut the throttle to slow and then have to apply throttle to pick up the stearn, for just a moment.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

when closing the throttle you need to lean forward, otherwise it will always flood the boat, remember an inflatable is very light that is why it happens, it also seem like your tilt position isn't correct, set it up one pin .... and see how it runs .....

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I set it up one pin wouldn't that make it even more difficult get it on plain ?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

lifeisfun said:
Hmmm, I have tho choke on when starting cold ...
How much should I pump the priming bulb ? ( manual indicates until I feel resistance... is that enough ?)
The motors anticavitation plate is about 2" below the bottom of the boat, will this affect the swamping ? Is it worth to move it higher ?
Forgot one more question :) The pee stream out of the engine is ice cold all the time, is this because of the cold weather ?

Thanks

I think you need to discuss the throttle response with the dealer.Also if a firm bulb and choke don't start with 3 or 4 pulls it may need adjustment.Possibly simply the choke or even possibly the float.Don't be afraind to squeeze the bulb until it is not able to draw more gas to be pumped.Squeezing the bulb is just to be sure the carb is filled with gas.Once a healthy carb is full no amount a squeezing will add more gas just don't stop until the bulb is hard.If you listen close you may hear gas entering the carb as you first start to squeeze.
The cold telltale is probably because its supply is from before the motor circulation.The motor certainly is not ice cold.You might feel the head to see if it seems right.
Too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns you.If it seems unusually cool it may have a problem with
the thermostat.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,
I was worried that it can flood the carb... I'll try to pump it harder next time :)
Looks like that it will be next year since the weather is getting bad :(

beaufort bob

Seaman

...I have a DF9.9 purchased in August 2006 ...have had SERIOUS vibration problems since new and NO success resolving with Suzuki ...anything not bolted down vibrates along with the engine ...by the way, this engine is advertised in Suzuki's brochure as "smooth running and vibration free" ...they deny there is a problem, although two "authorized dealers" admit there is ...one dealer replaced the flywheel and did other work to fix this "nonexistent" problem (with NO improvement!) ...alas, it is indeed "buyer beware" ...a word to the wise for anyone considering buying a Suzuki!

...regards, bb

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear that ...
Mine doesn't have vibration problem