Seasickness

Boat of Us 2

Cadet
Hi everyone

My question is about seasickness ........ :%

I'm from Montreal and have been navigating all my life on the river, which means no seasickness.
I'm leaving next week for Myrtle Beach S.C and I'm bringing a Yacht down to WestPalm Fl.
I'm abit worried about getting sick cause I do at times suffer from vertigo.

I saw two things that could avoid me being sick.
The Davis Queaz-Away braclets & MotionEaze drops for behide the ears.

What do you recommend for a FreshWater Captain 8)

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Seasickness

there is also a patch you put behind your ear. stay above deck so you can see the horizon, also helps. keeps you orientated.

xtraham

Lieutenant

tashasdaddy said:
there is also a patch you put behind your ear. stay above deck so you can see the horizon, also helps. keeps you orientated.

That's the ticket.........
I have carried many folks on all types of vessels.......
the patch behind the ear works the best, according to all the passengers that use them and are pron to sickness,
stay in fresh air and at the stern of the boat if possible
lots of folks seek a cabin at the first sign of sea sickness, thats the worst thing to do,
like TD says focus on the horizon take deep breaths throught the nose and keep active........
hope this helps.........
good luck........

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

So a bunch of us new guys to a new company and the high tech world decide to charter a bus and go to the coast and fish.

Load the bus one afternoon after work and head south for the coast. We play cards and drink beer the whole time......just had a blast.

Around 2am we stop at a diner for breakfast as we are supposed to be at the boat at around 4 for all the pre-sailing activities. Obviously no one got any sleep.

The wind was blowing pretty good that day and until we got several miles out into the gulf it was really bad. Obviously the previous night's activities had nothing to do with what was to come. :love:

The boat was a converted "Gulf Shrimp boat" if you know what that is. Folks lined the sides of the boat from the beam aft and around the stern. If the first guy got sick which happened more than once, it was just like dominoes falling down; progressively the next and so on would go to the railing and let her go. Really it was funny.....if you were not involved. d:)

The other thing was they had a galley and someone was cooking the greasiest stinking hamburgers you could possibly imagine and all that greasy smoke filled the stern section.....more rail visits.

The only thing that saved me was that I went forward and sat on the rope locker immediately in front of the wheelhouse and as tas said I locked my vision on the horizon.

We did catch some fish and besides all that had a great time.

My first experience watching LORAN in action (having studied it in the military). Very impressive, as we fished (favorite) humps, known by the boat folks to contain fish, located by LORAN.
----------------------

Butttttt Mr. Boat of Us, if you remain in the intracoastal waterway, you shouldn't have that much of an opportunity for it. Dunno about around Hatteras and there, but down here on the south end it's a piece of cake.

Mark

xtraham

Lieutenant

yep Mark, I have had the same type of group on my boats too
a hangover does not help much at all..........
I have never been sea sick and don't want too, it must be a awfull feeling
I have been offered a lot of money to take someone sick back to shore more times than I can count
they have even asked to be taken close to the nearest land and they would swim to shore, and said I could pick them up on the way in...........

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The first cruise my wife and I went on was a lesson in sea sickness for her. Weather was rough and even with the ship stabilizers deployed we were doing a bit of rolling. The drapes in the two story high dinning room seemed to draw my wifes attention as they were obviously swaying. I told her to stop looking at them so the next thing I notice is her gaze is fixed on her water glass that is about 2/3 full. To shorten this a bit, she suffered terribly for two days before visiting the ships doctor. A shot was administered that took care of things in a couple of hours. There is one caviat to this treatment -- you need to be sick first. We've been on many cruises since and it has never again been a problem.

savery

Seaman Apprentice

The Relief Band, which is battery powered and worn like a watch, is highly regarded in the aviation community for preventing motion sickness, without side effects, and can be adjusted to different levels of, well, "relief." Only setback is that it's kind of expensive, but it is reusable and useable by more than one person, and i believe that they also make a version that you can replace the battery, but that's slightly more expensive. Sharper Image has the cheapest one for $50, and I've seen them high as $120. Good luck!

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productdetails/sku__WS170

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

for what it's worth I was guaranteed to get sea sick the second the boat stopped , if it was moving under power I was fine, I couldn't sit in a darn row boat stationary in a mud puddle without getting sick. eventually I managed to get over it by eating snickers bars when I felt the slightest bit queasy. I would never go off shore fishing without a dozen snickers bars in the cooler, now I spend 3 days a week on the water nearly year round and never even think about sea sickness.
Or you could do what the pirates did, wear one heavy gold ear ring.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

What you want are Scopolamine Patches. For several years I tried to go tuna fishing out of San Diego. I would invariably end up curled up in the bunk below trying desperately to tune out the motion of the boat.

On my last trip, a pharmacist friend gave me a Scopolamine Patch. Not only was I on the deck for the big hit, I drank beer and ate steak on the way back in.

I am going for a week of fishing in Ketchikan in July, you can be sure I will have that patch behind my ear.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Enjoyed sharing experiences.

Problem with seasickness is that you can't "pull over to the side of the road and get out". You are stuck in it and that is part of the problem.

Boat of us 2. I lied. I tuned in www this am on the intracoastal waterway. Looks like it starts in New Jersey, so you'll have to get to it and you'll loose it for a 150 miles or so along North to Central Florida. Looks like the things folks suggested are the way to go.

Good luck,

Mark

Boat of Us 2

Cadet

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I enjoy reading your stories and recommandations.
Keep them coming........d:)

I'll let you know how it turned out.

Debbie
Boat of Us

Boat of Us 2

Cadet

Boat said:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I enjoy reading your stories and recommandations.
Keep them coming........ d:)

I'll let you know how it turned out.

Debbie
Boat of Us

mtp

Cadet

Beware, some people are very (UNDERSTATEMENT) sensitive to scopolomine patches. I tried them, wore as directed. But they actually made things worse. So - if you do try them, see if you get worse when you 'replace' the patch with a new one (the obvious signal for me). Sometimes it's just time.... The biggie is getting land sick when you get back to shore - that's really an odd feeling.

arthat

Seaman

I have been sea sick once while Tuna fishing manyl years ago. The worst feeling ever! I never want to experience it again! Since then, I carry 4 pair of "Sea Bands" onboard. Many a guest has used them with good results and they are inexpensive too. I guess the battery ones mentioned are a more sophisticated version, better keep spare batteries too though.

Good luck with your cruise.

Successful boating

Art

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i have used the patches before but they are a little to intense for me. I just cut them in half so they give me half the dose.

My doctor friend who presribed them in the past said they are not for everyone. He had one lady that swore the clock hands were rotating backwards when she wore them.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I can get severe motion sickness from rough water, bouncy airplane rides, and even sitting in the back seat of a car on curving roads. As mentioned above, there's not a much worse feeling than a severe case of motion sickness. Ginger works very well for me. Works better than dramamine and doesn't cause drowsiness. Never tried scopolamine so can't comment on that.

Did try pressure bands, without success, but that was years ago when they 'worked' by pressure alone and didn't have the batteries.

Ginger for motion sickness isn't just an old wives tale. There have been well controlled clinical trials showing that Ginger is effective for motion sickness, and I read recently that they've conducted trials that show it to be effective against postoperative nausea and vomiting for a high proportion of patients.

I'm almost positive it even makes a significant difference for nausea and vomiting associated with the occasional migraines I still get. I say "almost positive" because even though the migraines have gotten much less common and less severe as I've gotten older, I'm afraid to not take ginger to verify that it's what's preventing the nausea that I used to get when I had a migraine (anyone that has had severe migraines will understand).

JB

Interesting thread.

I can't add anything except:

I think you can get from Myrtle Beach to W. Palm Beach without leaving the Intracoastal Waterway. Pretty much flat water all the way.

tashasdaddy

there are a couple of short jumps to the ocean, but not bad. Fernandina, you come out and back into the St. Johns River, and St Augustine Beach out and back into the Matansas River. and a couple of more further south.