Can I overcharge my battery?

jasell

Seaman
Latley I have seen a new "problem" with my Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke -2000.
I used to charge very nicely at around 14 V when cruising. But latley I have reached 16.6 V and the voltage-figures starts to flash in my digital multi speedometer.
I thought this was a bad omen so I turned on the lights to consume some electricity, this reduced the voltaget to normal condition.
Is it bad to have 16+ V from the generator?
What could have happen? What should I check?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I overcharge my battery?

somewhere from that era there was a tech bulliten on some of the 3 cylinder voltage regulators,
ask your dealer if you can thumb through the tech bullitens from 2000-2001.
sounds like your regulator is failing.
yours may or may not be covered under the bulliten but its worth a look.

jasell

Seaman

OK, thanks.
Can I replace the regulator myself, is it costly?

jasell

Seaman

Ok, it have been a while. I got plenty of time to replace the voltage regulator. Easy! Finally the boating season started here in Sweden.
I took a test run last week, and I still see the same problem, disapointed!

So after running for 15 minutes or soo the problem with too high voltage reappears, the instrument says 16.6v and flashes.

I guess that is not too healthy for my electroncis, soo I turned on the lights (red & green, don't know the name of them in english) and my voltage returns to 14 v.

So, what could it be? I have not idea, it was so abvious at first. I don't want to run with lights on all day....

/jakob

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Recheck all of your connections including the battery ones.

granpafish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just had the same problem on a 2003 f225. Yamaha covered the repair costs because of a known problem with their voltage regulators. I don't know the years or models that they are covering. Unfortunately, we fryed a VHF before noticing the voltage spike.