Painting Cockpit Floor

This winter I would liketo paint the cockpit floor of my 1992 370 sea ray express cruiser. It is a little scratched up and I think a fresh coat would enhance along with all the new final being replaced this winter.

What type of paint do you recommend putting over the factory paint, do you need to sand the existing? I am hoping there is a paint out there to just put over the current finish. Existing paint is not a non-skid as the actual fiberglass is molded for a "rough" surface.

Any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Painting Cockpit Floor

Without Sanding,+ the Rest of the Prep Work,.........

You'll be Wasting your Time,+ Money...........

As in All Painting,......
Preperation is the Key to a Quality Finish..........

drewpster

Commander
Re: Painting Cockpit Floor

A friend of mine had the same problem. He wanted to refinish a set of fiberglass steps that had non-slip treads formed into the fiberglass. He could not sand the surface as it would ruin the treads. And if you don’t sand, the paint is just going to come off. He had a good solution that worked well.
He went to a tool retailer and bought a $50 sand blasting pot. He taped off and draped the surrounding areas. Filled the pot with crushed walnut shells and blasted the steps with it. It worked great. I'm not sure where he got the blasting media. But I will ask if you like.
I think he used Interlux Brightside paint.
If you have access to an air compressor this process works. It has been about a year since he did the painting and it still looks great.