Favorite Firearm?

i386

Captain
I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've had since I was 7 years old. I am 37 now. I've owned it longer than anything else I have. It's been the demise of many a target and squirrel over the years and is still reliable .

That's mine. What's yours?

crunch

Commander
Re: Favorite Firearm?

That Ruger 10/22 has to be the best 22 ever made, mine isn't that old but close and still will drive a nail at 100 yds.

Favorite? That's a hard one, just depends on what I'm shooting at.

I have a 1951 Russian SKS I bought about 15 years ago, in original packing that still puts out a consistent 100 yd group you can cover with a silver dollar.

A cut down (18.25" barrel) mosburg pump that will put a 12 ga. 3 in. mag in a milk jug at 50 yds as fast as you can pump it.

A Ruger 357 beside the bed.

A Scoped Remington M24 in 308 if I want to reach out and touch something.

What are we shooting at? 8)

i386

Captain

Sentimental value I suppose but anything's fair game.

crunch

Commander

Guns are tools, can't see getting sentimental about any of them.

MRS

Commander

45 acp I have the pistol and a camp rifle in the same cal. but I also have a marilin 22 mag. that will really reach out and touch more things that most would not think it can.:devil:

ob

Admiral

My favorite gun was burned up in a house fire some years back.It was a Remington 20 guage semi automatic 1922 model with a Browning patent.I too own a 22 Ruger with the 10 round rotary clip.A simple reliable little rifle.I'm more partial to my 243 Winchester though.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Gave a Ruger 10/.22 to my brother 28 or so years ago. Still a favorite gun.

I have one gun I am sentimental about. A single shot .410 my father gave me when I was a teen. Haven't shot it in years.

Favorite gun that I have purchased for myself is a S&W Model 10 M&P.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

oh, so many guns, such a difficult decision. First of all, I have to be thankful that the Libs have not yet succeeded in making them all illegal. They seem to have more stamina than Conservatives have demonstrated as of late and have made great inroads in the rest of the Western World.

My favorite (difficult choice) is the greatest battle instrument ever devised, M1 Garrand. Second to that would be my 1911 Colt .45 acp pistol. A longer lasting, more durable pistol, was never devised.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, now here is a topic that gentlemen can discuss like gentlemen. :)

I have to quadrivide the topic: Smallbore rifle, handgun, centerfire rifle and shotgun. Each is a tool for a different purpose.

My favorites are mostly John Moses Browning designs, with Bill Ruger close behind.

My favorite .22 started as the Winchester model 1890, later released in versions as the 1906, finally the 62. The great and popular Ruger 10/22 still hasn't sold as many copies. My current .22 is a Belgian Browning semi-auto that is probably the best .22 auto ever made. The Chinese copies (of both Browning designs) aren't in the same league.

Best handgun? Colt 1911A1, closely followed by the Ruger single action and the Browning Hi-Power. Currently have a Ruger P-90 in .45ACP, but my favorite ever was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357.

Centerfire? I have to admit that any quality action based on the Mauser K-98 is the best, but my favorites are the Browning designed Winchester lever guns. Currently have a Browning BL in .243Winchester.

Shotgun? Browning Superposed or Ruger Red Label in 20Ga. Citori is a decent copy of the original. Currently have Browning Citori Upland Special Featherweight in 20Ga 2-3/4" with English straight stock. Parker, Boss, Purdey, H&H, etc. are merely dreams.

Yeah, I am into "old" designs. When you get it right, why mess with it? You have a problem with that?

ricksrster

Commander

In order of favorite from most to almost most favorite rifle:
1) Ruger 10/22
2) Steyr Manlicher M95M ( 8mm Mauser )
3 ) Mossburg W46B ( 22 S, L, LR )
4) SKS
Favorite shotguns:
1) Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Ga
2) JC Higgins ( Sears ) 16 Ga.Bolt action.

ZmOz

Captain

My .38 American Bulldog revolver. It was made in 1897, so no serial number and no license. d:) My grandpa bought it used in the 40's. Not very accurate, but it'll make someone drop a knife like THAT!

Autotech1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I only own one gun. its a S&W 868 model. thats a 6 shot .357 stainless large frame 7 7/8 barrol. 12" long over-all. My last gun was a ruger GP100 .357.

My Favorite gun was a Mauser M 98. Built by Zavodi "CRVENA ZASTAVA" IN Yugoslavia. It was chambered for a 7mm Remington Mag.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

My favorite would be the Model 1897 Winchester 12 ga. hammer-pump that my Grandfather bought new as a young man and gave to me when he got long in the tooth. Though he had 4 sons and several grandsons, I was the honored one to get it. And yes it's sentimental, and no it's not a tool. I rarely shoot it. Nothing like the sound of the action of a '97 - kinda akin to Harley.

Link

Rear Admiral

LOL w/JB
"Yeah, I am into "old" designs. When you get it right, why mess with it? You have a problem with that? "
Take your fingure of that trigger JB! :)

Yup, you just don't muck with some things!
Like Oreo cookies.. they are dark on the outside and white on the inside! Now leave em alone already..oppps off topic :)

Now i386
I'm not going to break this down to "if I could only keep one rifle and one hand gun" which two would I keep...or quality..

This has to be my favorite because it was my first as a kid (8 or 9) and I have fond memories.
Good food rifle.
Squirrels, rabbits, grouse to deer and elk.
"Not that I would know about the deer and elk thing ya know" ;)

single shot LR .22 bolt action rifle.
After putting the round in you have to manually pull the firing pin back to **** it. (little round knob)
Have two of them
Both about 50+ years old

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Favorite handguns 1911 45 acp and my previously stolen Glock 23 .40 and my Gov't model Ruger 22

Rifles 45-70 is my favorite. My 30-06 will reach out but I keep going back to the 45-70. I have owned it in antique arms, I have a barrel for my Contender, a single shot H & R and a Marlin lever.

I am most fond of single shots.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Bob reminds me of a CF rifle I would like to own. Another quality .45-70. Had a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Great round for woods; just about anything you hit with it stays right where it was when you hit it.

Back about '96 I missed a chance to have a new Browning 1886 Hi-grade for $1200. I was on my way to Canada, so I thought I would buy it on the way home. It was gone when I got back.:'(

Maybe someday a Browning 1885 Hi-wall or even a Ruger #1.

Just dreaming, I guess. My Browning BLR in .243 is just about the perfect CF rifle for me and what I am likely to shoot. I don't think I could improve on the Browning .22 or the Citori Featherweight, either.

Does any maker offer a 1911 in .357?

acpjax

Cadet

.480 Ruger so much over kill its not funny.... but... ive yet to find something it wont stop :)

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

I only ever got to use what was given to me but my favourites are the Browning 9mm Hi-Power as a handgun and the Heckler Koch MP5.

Both immensely useable and comfortable weapons and very good for the purposes they were issued for...........unlike the old 7.62 SLR :'(

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

My favorite depends on the season and how many layers I am (or am not) wearing. It's either my Kimber compact carry .45acp or my Kimber ultra compact carry .45acp.

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

My personal favorite is the 7mm Mag I was issued when in the military. It is a fully customized floating barrel left-hand shooter topped-off with a Burris 3 to 11 range-finder that will really reach out and touch someone.
Best shot; 1109 yards with a 170 Grain boat-tail FMJ in1963.
It still looks like new.