Stuck steering

basstracker17

Recruit
Cannot steer my outboard motor. I can loosen the cable from the steering tube and turn the wheel right and left pretty easily. when it is hooked up i can't turn the motor either way. I think the steering shaft that slides through the tilt joint is stuck. Any ideas on how freeze this up? Dont believe it is bent.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stuck steering

Can you turn the motor by just turning the motor without the steering wheel. Are the grease points greased ??
If it is siezed solid , when was the last time you could steer ?? If all else fails then spray some penetrating solution into all moving parts and let it soak. Re apply after 30 minutes and let it soak in again. Things should start to free up then. As soon as you get movement take it back and forth bit by bit increasing the distance of movement. Then when yo have everything moving as much as it should then ckean off all the penetrating solution and grease it all up. Keep it regularly greased up from there. If all of the above fails then something IS probably bent.
Good Luck and please post your results.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Lack of regular preventative maint will certainly cause the steering rod to rust and freeze in the tilt tube. It is one of my least favorite jobs to get one of those things loose. You have to get it out and clean the rust out of the tube and lube with some water proof grease. You may have to remove the motor from the boat to get it out if there isn't enough clearance. I've seen them so bad (salt water) that there was no getting them out and the whole shebang had to be replaced. From now on, consider it a lesson learned, and do regular lubes.

basstracker17

Recruit

If i unhook the steering arm from the motor, it turns easy. The grease points on the tilt tube have grease in them and the motor turns freely. I dont think anything is bent since i have not used it in a while.

The last time i could steer was in late july and the boat sat untill now. Steering worked fine then.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have a stuck cable, clean the steering tube, it may or may not free up. if not you're in for a new cable.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Greasing the zerks on the tilt tube lubricate the tilt only. That grease does not get to where the cable slides back and forth.

ray estep

Seaman

F R is the man on this subject. He is right on about the waterproof marine grease and PM being the key to preventing this. PB Blaster or Sea Foam sray are solvents that work really well. Don't try to put too much force on it. Just give it plenty of time to soak. I have been told that WD40 dries to a hard shelac. I had to pay good money to have my soons trumpet fixed. The repair guy said it was because someone used WD40 on it which caused the tubes to sieze up. Your tilt tube is just about like the tubes in a trumpet. reaally tight tollerances. I hade to hone my tilt tube and remove my motor to replace my cable. Hope you can gently work yours loose and save yourself the trouble. good luck.

Ozarks R&R

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

mine had a build-up of dirt and gunk on it, no corrosion no rust - I managed to get the engine end of the cable out of the tilt tube, had to untie the cable where it was secured under the gunnel and lift it up and push it back to get clearance to clear the tilt tube, but it was do-able.

I cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner (it was the only solvent I had on the shelf at the time) and put it back in with no grease. I thought grease would attract dirt. Guess now I'll reconsider...can it be lubed in place or should it come out for that?