R-panels/ridge vent/continous vent questions

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Ok folks its getting crunch time. They are gonna start my roof by probably wedsday for the new house. The contractor is trying to talk me into a continous ridge vent instead of a whirly-bird or power vent. I'm having a little trouble finding something like this. Any ideas?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: R-panels/ridge vent/continous vent questions

Ridge vent coupled with lower soffet vents is far superior to turbine vents or power vents. Power vents normally only react to temp, not moisture. Turbine vents, even though they provide venting, will begin to squeel/squawl eventually.

Venting is very important in moisture removal in the winter. Contractors like the ridge vents so they don't have to spend the time capping w/shingles. Win/win for you both. Ridge vents should be available at any home improvent big-box store or roofing supplier.

Paul Moir

Admiral

And they actually look good compared to the others. I wouldn't consider anything else for your house.
The ridge vents I've seen are all capped over with shingles but leave a (screened) gap between the cap and the deck. Still, they're easy to install, look good, work better, and don't create a leak hazard since they're not flashed. What more could you want?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Ok guys. In the title I say R-panel so I'll expand a little- Its a METAL roof, no shingles. Thanx for the help though.

Paul Moir

Admiral

In that case, I'll qualify my post by saying I don't know the first thing about metal roofs.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Uhhh...I'm with Paul.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I did find a company out of Austin that has them but it'll be Monday before I can call to find out what they cost and how long it'll take me to get them.

KRS

Banned

I have a ridge vent on my house... but it's shingle roof construction.

No complaints.

crunch

Commander

I live in a high wind area.... like 100+ mph in the winter and 12 to 15 inches rain in a 24 hr. period. I went with all eave vents behind a 2 inch lip on the fascia. Around here roof vents of any type will cause leaks, this may not be a concern where you live.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Seems like anything built around here (north NJ) since 1990 or so has a ridge vent. Seems to be the new standard.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

It doesnt matter if its a metal roof.You need the ridge vent.......but fresh air must be drawn in from the soffit area in order for air to flow up through the ridge vent. If you do not have a vented soffit you must either install some type of vent between each rafter or provide a continuous soffit vent.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Doug- Not trying to be an azz at all, and I really do appreciate the help. Everyone is telling me about their SHINGLE over ridge vent. My house will NOT HAVE A SINGLE SHINGLE ON IT so the SHINGLE over will NOT WORK. Thanks for the info on the soffits. We already have it figured that way but it always helps to reassure onesself.

flashback

Captain

a lot depends on the slope of the roof, but in almost all cases, the ridge vent is best.. metal or shingle... what it comes down to is leaving the metal a little short of the ridge and then putting a smaller roof over the gap so air can move thru and not water... if you have 100 mph winds on a regular basis, it will not keep the water out... in that case it is probably best to live underground.... I have a metal roof here in Tn.. and it does have a ridge vent in it and it works very well..........

erniex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Typically on a metal roof you have a metal ridge cap. The ridge cap itself can act as the ridge vent. Check out this link from a metal roofing mfg. company in Florida. They have a roll product that goes under the ridge cap to seal out insects but still allows it to ventilate.

http://www.gulfcoastsupply-mfg.com/guide/page5.html

About halfway down the page it talks about it. They also sell a product called Versa-Vent - a more expensive alternative.
HTH

Ernie

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thats it Ernie. I just found out this afternoon that Mueller makes a product similiar to the one you describe. Its like a thick scotchbrite pad and then the closure strip is breathable.