evinrude pressure tanks

freddyray21

Commander
When did they go from pressure tanks to a fuel pump? I have a chance to go look at several tommorrow and one is a 1960 and another is older. I don't think I want to buy them if they need a pressure tank and can't be retro fitted.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: evinrude pressure tanks

Not really sure of the dates on every motor, but theres nothing wrong with pressure tank motors. Gee, I just got done repainting 2 good tanks, and will be on ebay soon (yep, a shameless plug)......
I would think though any 60 Johhny/Rude will be a PT setup though

wbeaton

Commander

What motors are you looking at? I would otherwise agree with Scaaty except that I know a fella with a 1960 18hp that has a fuel pump, which he believes to be original. I'm not sure it is, but I don't have anything to back that up. I think OMC started to get away from pressure tanks in the early '60's, but someone with more knowledge should be able to give some exact dates/models.

Either way, there is nothing wrong with pressure tanks. However, if you don't want a pressure tank there are conversion kits available to convert a pressure system to a fuel pump.

I have some '50's Evinrudes with pressure tanks and they are great motors. Don't be scared of them.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've been runnning a 1955 15 hp rude with a pressure tank for years, nothing wrong with them. simple set up. i've seen a lot of motors ruined by people who have tried to convert. rebuild kit are available you only need to know if you have a plastic, or metal primmer button on the tank. heres a link for parts for older engines and tanks:

http://www.laingsoutboards.com/newp...ncludes Gale, Sea King up to 1963, and others

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The debate will never end. Go whichever way you want, they are both OK. It might be interesting to note that OMC offered fuel pump kits for 10hp - up as an accessory, even while the pressure tanks were still standard. So, it is possible to have an "authentic" older motor with a fuel pump.

It's getting to be kind of a pain to find some of the fuel pump adapter style bypass covers to convert systems. You can modify the one you have if you're handy at that sort of stuff.

Also, the Gale - built cousins never did have pressure tanks, only fuel pumps.

Fuel pumps were standard on the '58-up 35hp Lark/Super Quiet and all V-4s. Became standard across the board in 1960.

tashasdaddy

keep original. seaway marine. com has the hose connections, and they can be found on ebay occasionally.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I remember when I was a kid seeking my identy of sorts....you know, deciding whether you are a Chev or Ford man kind of thing.

Was in the outboard arena and noticed the fuel setup for OMC with the neat fuel tank with the lip on top and the double fuel line......didn't know what that was all about but thought it was cool.....so I was an OMC man for the time.

Later, in purchasing some well limbered up engines with these pressure feed systems, I found them to be problematic in that the fittings were all worn out and leaked all over me.

Now who wants gas on their hands when they are trying to bait fish hooks? :%

Course I could have bought repair parts but for some reson that never happened. Probably because it was all I could do to buy the engine, some 10+ years old at the time. But, thinking back, I think it was the crimp connections crimping the hose to the hosebarb at the fitting......didn't know how to handle that.

Remember one, in particular, a 5 1/2 hp Brown/White Johnson.

Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Under 10 horse? Stay with the pressure tanks. They don't have bypass covers to mount the pump. They can be converted using a Mikuni pump, but that's not for me.

tashasdaddy

laings has al the parts to for the tank and hose fittings.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I've got a 57 Johnson 18 hp that was converted to a modern fuel tank. Always starts on the 2nd pull...you couldn't give me a pressure tank system unless it couldn't be converted. When I attend aomci meets, the guys with pressure systems spend half their boating time fooling around with bad tanks/seals and come in smelling of gas. A good marine tech with more than 10 years experience can do the conversion for you without going to a foreign made snowmobile fuel pump.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The smaller engine's had a place tapped right to the block for the fuel pump, they did'nt bolt to the by-pass cover.

freddyray21

Commander

only one of them it turns out needs a pressure tank and they are supposed to have two of them with it. I will go and look at them probably tuesday.