Removed lettering - still can see where it was

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I know, it's bad luck to change you boat's name. Well, I TRIED to find a girlfriend named "Valerie T." but couldn't, so the name changes.

It peeled off OK (finger nails and razor blade) ten I cleaned the remaining adhesive off. After rubbing compound and restorer/wax by hand and orbital buffer) I still easily see where the old letters were. Maroon gelcoat looks darker under where the letters came off. It will be OK if that's as good as I can get it, but before I put the new lettering on I wanted to see if there is something else that will blend that out a bit?

Any ideas? Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Removed lettering - still can see where it was

it can very difficult to blend it back in. The gel coat under the letters hasn't faded over the years like the rest of it, so to blend it back in you need to sand and buff the surrounding area until you get down to gel coat that has not faded.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Putting the new name right over where it was will make it a LOT less noticeable. It's an optical illusion thing with the contrasting colors. If you're going to do that, don't wear yourself out with the compound. I used to work as a sign painter & did a huge amount of boats - even the pickiest SOB wouldn't say much after he saw it with the new name on there.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The letters blocked theUV ray of the sun. No amount of compounding will change that.

i386

Captain

1. Mask out the entire boat except the letters.

2. Leave boat in the sun for 10 years.

8)

A Fn Noob

Cadet

Have you tried wetsanding with 800, 1000 grit?

Then youd need to use some buffing compound, and then 3M Cleaner/Restorer/Wax.

If that doesnt work, I dont know what will

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, thanks all. I like the idea of leaving it in the sun for 10 years!

I may try wet sanding, but most likely just put the new lettering over the same area. It should look fine.

sailsmanship

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely try wet sanding with 800 grit. It will look better. Also,is the spots where the lettering was feel raised? If so, block sand it.