Fitting a Fuel Flow transducer

kennyh

Cadet
Hey Guys!

I'm thinking of fitting a Navman Chartplotter that also has Fuel Usage Monitoring by fitting a Fuel Flow transducer on the fuel line.

I've a 4.3L Mercruiser and need some advice on where to fit the transducer. The fittings guide says "after the fuel filter and fitted vertically". The problem is I can't see a place to fit it as most of the pipework is metal after the spin-on fuel filter.

Have you fitted one of these transducers to a Mercruiser? Where did you fit it?

Thanks
Kenny.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Fitting a Fuel Flow transducer

They say to mount after the fuel filter to keep any trash or water from flowing thru them. I had the same problem as you do and mounted mine before the filter in the rubber supply hose. So far, (installed 4 years ago) have not had any problems.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I use a Navman fuel flow monitor on an outboard. If you look through the transducer there are some pretty delicate looking pieces that make up the turbine. Any debris that gets past the pickup screen in the tank will probably pass through the turbine without damage but the risk is there.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The fittings guide says "after the fuel filter and fitted vertically". The problem is I can't see a place to fit it as most of the pipework is metal after the spin-on fuel filter.

They are ASSUMING you have a fuel filter installed between the engine and the fuel tank that is NOT an engine installed filter. You DO NOT want to break any of the steel lines on the engine.
Don't have a clue what year 4.3 Mercruiser you have, but you need to install that transducer in the rubber fuel hose that goes from the fuel tank to the engine. If you don't have a filter in that line, you need to install one.

kennyh

Cadet

Hi Don

That's what I was thinking.

So in between the tank and the spin on filter it goes ( with a inline filter before it).

Cheers
Kenny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are refering to the small inline filters with a hose on each end, I wouldn't do that. Use a regular spin on water seperating fuel filter ahead of the transducer. If you use just a small inline filter to keep the dirt out, it may get clogged up quickly due to it's small amount of surface area and cause engine running problems.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the Navman with the fuelflow transducer installed at the inlet to the main engine fuel filter. Use this setup for about 3 years now with no problems

I found that the fuel tank outlet pickup tube has a mesh screen. This screen effectively prevents any large debris from flowing out of the tank. With ony small bits, the flow transaducer will not be clogged.

Suggest you check if the pick-up tube for presence of the screen