xtraham

Lieutenant
Extra Class, Eastern Shore Maryland
work all bands, but I mostly enjoy 10 m Voice and CW

-. ...-- .-. .. -...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: How many Amateur (Ham) operators on Iboats

N4ZAW (tech) inactive... No gear, but i keep the liscense just in case i win the lotto.d:)

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

K5WAS- Extra Class

treedancer

Commander

not very active but still keep it up.

Advanced [kcodl]

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Tech usually playing on 2m

Gotta find time to upgrade ......... new grandbaby due in a month (my first) and work...... but with the winter weather I may consider it.

treedancer

Commander

Quote Bob vt

Gotta find time to upgrade

When I went to upgrade form novice to Gen.I wasn’t sweating the code, but was worried about everything else. Spent he night before studying everything I could in the call book, writing down all the formulas, so I came up with what I thought at the time was the perfect idea, I wrote all of the formulas in the webbing of my hands in ink. Notice that the word sweating in the first sentence; the formulas went down my fingertips the first minute of the code test. Everything worked out o.k. I passed the Gen. and had the opportunity to take the extra at the same time,I passed it as well.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

KE1DK here advance class since 93, went from novice to advance within 3 weeks of passing my novice test.. Next anybody work or swl the space shuttle or MIR, I was lucky . I worked the shuttle 2 times on voice STS-59 and -STS-61.I also worked the R0MIR on voice once and R0MIR-1 packet repeater a bunch of times....73's de Ted

eeboater

Commander

Can someone splain what exactly you do with a HAM radio license? I have always wanted to know.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Cell phones are convienant but lack abilities to work during certain situations and certain geography. During the 9-11 incident .... most systems went down due to loss of the signal towers, major blackouts wipe them out too. Ham (amatuer radio) which is an earlier technology is far more effective and allows emergency communications.

My first real exposure was talking with my uncle in Viet Nam via a ham radio operator who linked it to a telephone. When I enlisted in the Army I spoke with my family the same way from Europe. This was called MARS (military affiliate radio system) and still works today.

http://www.arrl.org/ is a great place to find out about Ham Radio.

Ham radio people have been instumental in emergency situations for communications worldwide. Many areas in particular rural areas (where cell phones really are not effective - VERMONT!) conduct emergency communications testing and assist in emergency services.

The list of the good stuff goes on an on. I have friends who have high powered equipment and as a hobby they communicate with other HAM radio people throughout the world..... right from their home. This may sound funny but, HAM radio people are better informed of real world situations than the news-people reporting it.

I do some serious hunting and a Ham radio is the only form of communication that works in the mountains. Keeps me in touch in case of an emergency (or if I need to just call the wife).

It may not be for everyone but, I would suggest you explore it.

65bigfish

Cadet

KD5EJO, Tech, UHF and VHF SSB mostly rover contests. Soon to be Airborne mobile and maybe seaborne sometimes.

oddjob

Commander

quote:This may sound funny but, HAM radio people are better informed of real world situations than the news-people reporting it.

I bet. Ha!ha! he said news-people reporting...now that IS funny. How much is a starter kit?

waterinthefuel

Commander

I studied to take the test and never did. I don't even know where to go to take a test. It upsets me because I think it would be WAY cool to mount some kind of ham radio on my bike and be like Ponch and John.......parked on the side of the road chatting.....how cool would that be?

I was showed by someone that they can tie into telephones. I don't know if they are still capable of that though, times do change. I was shown that back in '98.

Bob_VT

Staff member

WIF Go to the ARRL web site and look up where to take the test. There is bound to be one in your area. Yes you can still make a telephone call if you hook up to the right equipment.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

N2IKS - Tech Plus

I first became interested back in the 80's in Boy Scouts when I partipated in the Jamboree on the Air. There were several hams in my troop. Then in high school I had a Physics teacher who started a radio club. I still have my QSL cards from back then. I've pulled a few all nighters during Field Day...good times.

KRS

Banned

Me, my dad, my mom, my two brothers, and my wife... all Hams of varying classes (license not character!)

KRS

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

KC5LVN (inactive) Used to do 2m, 70Cm..mainly for Skywarn and ARES..also alot with Civil defense back home in North La... Ran into some REALLY RUDE hams here in Atlanta when I stumbled upon their repeater while searching for one after I moved here...it was NOT listed as closed in the book so I keyed and introduced myself...they basically told me to get the hell off the repeater (almost exact words!). After that I said to heck with it and sold all my gear. One day I will get back in to it...right now I have fun fishing with my kids..

treedancer

Commander

[FONT=&quot]I was hiking in Utah this summer, (Canyonlands National Park) the cell was no signal, 2 meter Talked all I wanted..

[/FONT] Not a commercial link spinner, here?s a link to a repeater that is in the area that I was hiking,not sure if it was the one I went thru ,but has some interesting articles and some rather good pictures.

http://www.ussc.com/~uvhfs/med_butte.html

Last edited:

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

How many guys here passed there 13 or 20 wpm CW. That was the hardest part of the exam. For me the little bit extra of phone allotment was not worth the time, I missed passing 3 times the 20 twice I got 6 out 10 questions. The funny part is I never had a QSO in CW, I always used mostly during VHF contests on 2 Meter SSB and 70 CM SSB. Even thought I had HF privliges I enjoyed 2 meter ssb from on top of Soapstone Mountain Somers,Ct {elev 1100 ft} with a clear shot down the coast I had a radio shack roof tripod mount on a skid in the back of my pick up w/ 10ft of masting and a 5 element Quad 160w brick a deep cycle battery and either a Yeasu ft-736 or a Icom 820H I worked during ducting as far south a Macon Geogria I have to look at the QSL card to get the grid square and as far west as Mich. EN-81 from FN-31. To all you techs playing with FM look in to SSB during the summer and contest there is a lot of people active, Even look for band opening earlys in the mornings or right after dark you be amazed. Temputure inversions this time of year here on the east coast I have worked repeaters in VA on 5 watts from Ct and simplex FM to NJ and PA on FM. The best openings here occurs when there is a hurricane or tropical storm off the Carolina's the lower the pressure the better and the entire east coast shoreline is one giant duct. I can remember in the early 90's during one of the ducting events hearing operators in the middle atlantic states working Cuba on 2 meters SSB. As you can see it's not just hey good buddy there so much to do. How about some of the hams post some of there best QSO's/ DX worked here and show the non hams what you can do.............73's de Ted

Link

Rear Admiral

KA7ICB
N7CEO
HL9HB Korea
N7CEO

Almost 28 years now
Mrs.Link N7WGO

Link

Rear Admiral

To answer BLU LUNCH

When drafted in 71 I already could copy 25 wpm 100%

Flew through 5 months communications training in 3 months.

Thought I was hot stuff.

First duty assignment the 82nd Airborne.

They would not even let you on a cw net until you could 100% copy at 40 wpm.

Talk about getting the wind taken out of your sails! LOL

Wound up operating RTTY out of a jeep.