Coil Test

TACDouble

Cadet
I am ready to try and start my 1970 60hp triumph. I tried to start it lastnight with no luck. I checked for spark at the plugs, no spark.

I am guessing my next step would be the coil. What is the proper way to check the coil? How does the coil to distrbuter lead disconnect?

IF the coil fails the test, is there anything that would cause to coil not to fire or is it just bad?

Thanks for the info

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Coil Test

That engine has battery CD ignition, you will need the proper manual to trouble shoot, there are any of number of thing's that will cause it not to fire, the coil being but one of them.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need a manual and some troubleshooting to check out the ignition system. Could be the coil. Could be the amplifier. Could be the points (yes it does have points). Could be the distributor cap or rotor. Could be the anti-reverse cut-out ring. Could be no voltage supply to the amplifier. Get the picture?

To remove the coil, unbolt it and disconnect from the amplifier and unscrew the wire from the distributor cap by turning the whole coil.

DO NOT make any unapproved tests or attempt to crank or run with any loose or disconnected wires unless you want to be buying an amplifier and/or alternator rectifier. You've been warned.

TACDouble

Cadet

Thanks for the advise. I have an old factory manual on it's way.

I aprrecicate all the help!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Voltage Drop To Battery Capacitance Discharge)
( Pulsepack When Electric Starter Is Engaged)
(J. Reeves)

On the older Battery Capacitance Discharge ignition systems (1968-1972), the electric starter reaches a point, even with a top notch battery, whereas the starter will draw excess voltage/current/whatever which results in a voltage drop to the pulsepack. The cure is to purchase a diode which is capable of handling 12 volts and installing it between the starter terminal of the starter solenoid (NOT the battery cable terminal) and the wiring terminal that supplies voltage to the pulsepack.

The diode must be installed so that the current flows from the starter terminal of the solenoid to the pulsepack... NOT vice versa. When that diode is installed in this manner, when the key is turned to the start position, the voltage that is applied to the starter is also applied directly to the pulsepack via the diode effectively eliminating the voltage drop and energerizing the pulsepack with the required voltage needed for its proper operation.
(Battery Capacitance Dischage Powerpack Test)
Various OMC Engines - 1968 to 1972)
(J. Reeves)

Purchase a small 12v bulb at your local automotive parts store (the 12v bulb is to look like a flashlight bulb, not a headlight bulb). Solder two wires to that bulb, one to the side of the bulb (ground), and the other to the positive point. You might use a bulb of a somewhat lower voltage to obtain a brighter glow... just a suggestion.

Remove the spark plugs. With the key in the on position, make sure that you have 12v going to the pack at the terminal block (purple wire). Now, connect the ground wire from the bulb to any powerhead ground. Connect the wire from the positive point of that bulb to the powerpack wire that is connected to the coil wire on the terminal board (blue wire).

Crank the engine and observe that bulb closely (CLOSELY!). If that bulb glows even the slightest bit, the powerpack is okay. It may be a very dim glow... just so it glows! If it doesn't glow, the pack has failed.

Keep in mind, that type powerpack (Battery Capacitance Discharge) demands a top notch battery of at least 70 amp hours. Any less will, in time, cause powerpack failure.

(Battery Capacitance Discharge Coils - Continunity Test)
(Joe Reeves)

Remove the primary wire the screw type terminal. Remove the coil and unscrew the HT wire from the distributor cap.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the HT wire, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground wire of the coil.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the wire that normally attaches to the powerpack output lead. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the HT wire by unscrewing it from the coil. After removing the wire, the check can be repeated using the internal threaded prong within the coil instead of the HT wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for erratic or no ignition and/or s/plug fouling.

TACDouble

Cadet

I thank you all for the great info. I had a chance to sit down and really take a look at the ignition system this morning.

It looks like I won't be trying to start this engine any time soon. The wiring appears to be in good condition, but as soon as it is moved it crumbles.:'( The wiring is all coroded inside......

The wiring to the amp is shot, the coil has been replaced at some point in time, but is still in need of replacement.

So, I guess I am stuck looking for another amp and a few other ignition parts. Unless anyone knows if I can open the amp and replace the wiring.....

Thank you all!!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The wiring turning to crumb's was a common problem on that year engine. You can get a new wiring harness from Rapair. That is the easy out.