small pond fall fishing

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
I love to bass fish but am not very good at it. Still trying to learn as much as possible.
I have got the chance two fish on two private ponds during the last weekend in October. They are on a Boy Scout Camp. (Camp Sidney Dew in North GA) I'm gonna be bank fishing. One pond is real small and has a deep spot (10ft maybe) at one end by creek and 3ft diameter culvert .Shady at that end. Then it gradually slopes upward to the other end. The other is probably about 1.5 acres. Fairly deep at middle and one end. 20-30 ft. Dirt dam at one end. floating dock that may or may not be accessible depending on if I can fish the swim area. I'm there primarily for bass but there are also catfish in both. A couple of good size pickeral in the little one and crappie in the big one. What lures (or live bait) should I use and where. Ponds are ussually low in this season. Cought bass there in summer but don't know enough about fall fishing. If you need anymore info just ask. I have plenty of mental pictures in my head.

gonefishie

Commander
Re: small pond fall fishing

1/8oz spinner bait, 1/8oz buzzbait, a pop-R, junebug color texas rig worm on 1/8oz or 3/16oz bullet weight. Use small baits when pond fishing and you can have lots of fun.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget a 4" Senko and a popper.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Where do I find 1/8 oz. spinnerbai and buzzbait. A quick run through my BPS and Cabelas catologues produced only 1 spinner unless we are talking about inline. I own about 15 of those. Most in 1/8 oz. Found zero small buzzbaits. Would that be something I can find at the local Wallyworld or K-Mart?

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Okay I found them. they threw them in with the crappie jigs. What are some good all around colors? Silver or gold blade? Lets say I wanted 4 spinners and four buzzers. Which colors?

gonefishie

Commander

if you wants 4 of them just get silver double willow leaf with white skirt, gold/silver tandem blade with chartreuse skirt, single gold Indiana blade with white skirt. If it was me I would just stay basic and get two of each of the first two choices so you'll have back up. Buzzbait: white, chartreuse, black, black/chartreuse, black/red. The main thing is to stay natural and basic, don't get too fancy.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I spent $40 last night on a mail order from BPS....
$40 that I don't have seeing as I'm only 13. Bass fishing is addictive! I originally planned a $15 order but as the day grew on it just kept growing. By the time my dad got home from work to help place the order it was $40. I need a job!

heycods

Captain

#2 trueturn hook 18 oz bullit weight, purple firetailed worm6" rigged texas style, and a H&H single blade spinner in black and yellow, thats all you need.d:)

FLATHEAD

Commander

Rooster tail's in yellow or red would have been a good choice. Good luck, Post a report when you get back.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Heycods, I sure hope you don't want to use an 18 oz weight do you? Thats more than a pound! And isn't a 6" to big. This is a small pond.
I will try to post a report when I get back this weekend. I may not have much time since it is my little brothers cub scout trip ( I am only 13) and their leader often wants the older more experienced boy scout to 'help out.'

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think he meant 1/8 oz . If theres bass in the pond and they're in the mood to eat a 6" worm should work.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I'm back. Had a blast. Caught only 1 fish. 1 1/2 pounder. Had a couple more bites. But, Most people there were not catching anything.
Talked to the ranger and he said that they have not been maintaining the lakes up there and they are horrible conditions for bass to live in. No small fish to feed off of considering there are only bass, cats and carp in the small one. In the big one there were supposedly bream but they seemed to have died off. But the catfish and carp thrive up there in those bad waters. A good project for my BSA troop to do to might be repairing the bad fishery.
On the way back we visited a small lake. But since it was a hike in I took a single rod and inline spinner. Supposed to be 5 acres. So low it was only about 1 acre. Locals said that it was only about a foot deep in the middle two weeks ago. Stopped at a pond (about 50 feet across) halfway down the trail that locals said never dried up. Saw a few small bass but couldn't produce any strikes on that spinner.
Stopped at an outdoor rifle range that was closed on sunday but you could still walk up to it. Went down to the end of the range and got a great idea. The lead bullets are the same shape as worm weights. We took a baggie full home to drill holes in an expirament with. We also found some target stands that would make great rodholders.
All in all had a real fun trip.

Kywoodmann

Seaman Apprentice

bassboy ...next time try Wal-Mart...they have some pretty good baits and are very reasonable...no need in buying alot of high priced crap when a few plastic worms and some jigs are all you need.

ky

Ron G

Commander

Bassboy thats the way fishing goes.your right that sounds like a good thing for the boy scouts to do.nothing like trying to get a pond back in order.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

The cats and carp are thriving there though. The avarage carp in that lake is 4 or 5 lbs. Cats are not far behind.

Ron G

Commander

time to get the doe balls and chicken livers out.