90 hp too much for my boat?

lcichon

Cadet
Hey guys, I have a 1990 Bayliner Capri 17' with a 50 HP outboard. I want to buy 1991 Force 90 HP outboard on ebay. The rating plate on my boat says 50 HP and 4 people max. It's the standard open bow config and I've had 6 people in there. What do you think, can I safely throw a Force 90 on there?

Thanks-

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 hp too much for my boat?

Personally, I wouldn't. It will be a strain on the transom of the boat, may sit too low in the water at the stern due to the extra weight of the heavier motor and may adversely affect handling. Not to mention, it may void your insurance policy if you have one...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Depending on how you feel about insurance, your insurance carrier may deny coverage if they know your boat is overpowered. Likewise, if you are involved in an incident, they have the right to deny payment and the other folks involved will likely own all your stuff.

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on where you live. Some states' laws are really strict when it comes to hp ratings and such. Some ins. companies will cover you if your rig will not exceed a certain mph. My ins. company would cover my boat that is rated for 125 if I put a 150 on it as long as it doesn't exceed 75 mph! It wouldn't. It would probably do about 60.

If it was me where I live, I would do it. If I was worried about the transom not being strong enough I would buy some 1/4" to 3/8" aluminum plating and put it on both sides of the transom under the mounting bracket. I would do this anyway, but with that alum. the transom is not going ANYWHERE, unless you have dryrot in there. Then that's another story...

TG

lcichon

Cadet

"If I was worried about the transom not being strong enough I would buy some 1/4" to 3/8" aluminum plating and put it on both sides of the transom under the mounting bracket. "

How would you mount this? If you drill holes won't it compromise the strength of the transom?

Thanks-

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1st thing i wouldn't buy a Force from anywhere. the 1st thing i do, when i buy a project boat with a force, is put it on ebay, or part it out on ebay.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Putting a 90 on a boat rated for 50 doesn't sound too safe to me.It must weigh close to 100 lbs more than the 50 and obviously close to double the horspower.The boat is allready rated for only 4 people probably at 145 lbs each. so you will be down to 3 people.Those little Bayliners are notorious for transom and floor trouble.
Add a 100 lbs at the transom and you'll see how it will sit with the 90.I wouldn't want to be in it in a heavy sea.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really, really, really, REALLY bad idea, Icichon.

Even without the legal and liability risks you would have a very dangerous boat that might kill you.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a numnuts idea to me too. This is way more power and weight than it could handle safely. It's one thing to put on a little extra power and an entirely different one to almost double the horsepower.

I know some folks that have modified their boats by reinforcing the hull and stringers and beefing up the transom to put on more power, but these guys are fellas in "the know" about this kind of stuff.

So ...in a nutshell, don't do it.

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't know how relevant this is... but that canoe in my avitar my dad bought in 71'. In 74' when I was 14 yrs old I tried my friends 10hp Kakanhaffer on the canoe. The canoe did plane out but didn't have any directional stability. It got real loose and I found out it will plane at a 45 degree angle sideways, bow at 10oclock, stern at 4 oclock. Good thing I was alone. Never overdid the hp on a boat again. You haven't lived until one gets a boat away from them at speed::%

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Force...No.....Doubling the HP.....no.....scarey stuff and makes you extremely liable ! to both anyone you have an incident with.....and anyone on board at the time !

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

There again.....how come I can go to a 150hp on my 164 Doral ? and you can only go to a 50hp on a 17 ft Bayliner ?

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that something's not right here: 50 hp max on a 17' boat? My brother has a 17' foot Blue Water open bow runabout that has a '95 Merc 150 XRI; it is a little overpowered, but not stupid dangerous. The boat is rated for 140. It used to have a Suzuki 2-stoke 140 on it. In my opinion, it was a dog. With that 150 now the boat actually gets up on the "pad" and starts to live. You can't give the keys to just anybody, though.

TG

Bondo

Staff member

1st thing i wouldn't buy a Force from anywhere.

I Totally Agree,............

Nor would I even consider Doubling the rated Horsepower on a Bilgeliner...........

Muchless a 17 Year Old Capri,...................

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The 50 HP rating is correct for the 17' Capri. Bayliner knew when they built it what it could handle. That's why they are/were entry level boats...

croSSed

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bayliner and Force...
What a winning combination! I refer to Bayliners as "cookie-cutter boats."
:/

TG

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Now I'm wondering are we maybe talking about a 14 ft boat 50hp and only 4 people?If its a 17 it must be one of the smallest 17s ever built.Measured along the gunnel
perhaps, probably 16 ft. 1 in. or something.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

a bilgeliner? a canoe with a kakanhaffer...better known as a kiekhaefer? a 17' boat that can't take more than a 50hp engine...must have a balsa wood transom in it.........I'm howling right know over this whole assembly...excuse me I have to go wipe the tears from my eyes

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

But I am certain it was bought at a good price. Also if it is a lead in boat then hopefully the owner will enjoy the introduction and move on to better things in the future. Lets face it, they look quite stylish and are usually priced right.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

my neighbour have a 17' capri with a 70hp johnson on ... goes nicely ..... I would get rid of the plate (or get a new one made) and add the motor (but that is just me) ... I have a 17' bowrider raven rated for 130hp max with a 200 yummy on ... goes very nicely ... my alltime ski'ing boat ...