Alpha One won't come down

Hi Guys I have a 1990 Aplha One out drive that will not trim down. The trim up works and the trailer tilt button up works. When I trim down all I get is a clicking noise so i believe the solenoid is working. I tried doing a search on this forum and in my manuel but all the information seems to be on problems with the trim not going up. Can anyone give me some trouble shooting advice?
Thank you in advance for your replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha One won't come down

Heres a link to a free online Merc service manual for your drive. Go to section 1C and follow the troubleshooting chart. It's quite detailed and has a wiring diagram.

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6covr3.pdf

It's probably nothing more than a faulty solenoid, but it could be other things as well, therefore the need to troubleshoot the system BEFORE replacing a bunch of good parts.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

make sure you have agood test light and good connections. those pumps can draw up to 100 amps at times. make sure you do the voltage troubleshooting before jumpin in and tearing things apart.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Did you apply your fat arse in a positive manner?
Put your foot down?
Sometimes the trim rams become corroded & need help....JK

I will try the fat arse trick to get down first, i thought of it but I did not want to force anything. Thanks for manuel Don all your help is most appreciated.