My boat sunk...

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 12' aluminium boat with 57' QD-18 Johnson 10 HP motor on it. It got swamp and sunk in a sever wind storm Sunday morning. I found it hanging under water by the mooring lines just off bottom beside my dock after the storm. I got it up and out of the water and let it drain for about an hour. Got it going and ran it at varing speeds on the lake for two or three hours total. Most of the time was spent at WFO after the motor had time to warm up and "settle down". I was wonder if that was enough to get the water out or is there other things I need to do? I have never had a motor sink before. What do you "guys" think? It seems to be running pretty good after it's bath....

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: My boat sunk...

Hoping this was in fresh water, right? If it was salt water, your outboard may be toast. If it was mine, I'd pull the cowl, flywheel and lower unit and hit everything with some WD-40 (water displacement for 40 days), clean the carb, and work some WD-40 through the innards by filling the cylinders with it and turning the cranshaft. Then let it dry and put it all back together and cross your fingers. The fact that it actually ran after you pulled it out is good, just hope the fuel/oil displaced any water that may have gotten into the powerhead. Bummer situation.

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input TM... It was in fresh water. I will look into those things.

BF

Lieutenant

I think you did good... getting it running ASAP is the best thing you can do. If it ran good for 3 hours after, then I think you've averted the crisis. It probably got warm enough to dry out. I might be inclined to run double oil through it for one tank, just to make sure everything gets a good oil film on it.