pull chain light

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a new house and I am trying to fix all the things that are driving me nuts. There is a pull chain light mounted on the wall that leads to the basement. Problem is it is about head high. It sticks out way too far and i knock into it about every other trip. Ther are plenty of lights that would mount closer to the wall and not stick out so far. My problem would be solved. The only thing is none of them are pull chain. So there would be no way of turning off and on. The walls are plaster so I really don't want to get into putting in a wall switch. Can a regular light be changed over to a pull chain light? I think they sell pull chain switches in the ceiling fan department. What do you guys think?

xtraham

Lieutenant
Re: pull chain light

put up one of those under cabinet 18" floresents with a built in switch they are only about 2" thick

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hardware stores sell pull chain switches that can be spliced into a line.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, that's what I wanna do. I just need a bit more guidance. I am thinking of splicing the pull chain switch on the hot wire. Then drilling a hole in the base of the fixture to feed the pull chain through. Is there anything wrong with this idea? It seems logical enough to me.

ob

Admiral

If the pull chain light is mounted to the wall then behind it is the power source.I'd opt to install a wall switch and utilize whatever light was best suited.Otherwise,the flourecent mentioned above would be a good choice.I use one of those over my workbench.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really don't want to get into cutting holes in these plaster walls. Drywall maybe. But not for this application. I also think a flourescent light would look kinda goofy mounted on the wall leading to the basement. Any other ideas?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

How about the surface mount wiring channel? Easy to install and will allow you to mount a real switch.

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

So mount a switch where the existing light is, and then run the surface mount wiring channel down the wall a little ( out of heads way) and mount a box and add a light. It is a good plan, but seems like a lot of work and materials. I hate pull switch lights as much as the next guy. Is there anything wrong with my original plan of converting a regular light to a pull chain? You know I like cheap and easy.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

stl said:
Yeah, that's what I wanna do. I just need a bit more guidance. I am thinking of splicing the pull chain switch on the hot wire. Then drilling a hole in the base of the fixture to feed the pull chain through. Is there anything wrong with this idea? It seems logical enough to me.

I dunno.....

I'd guess that might violate code. Plus, do you want a mechanical device hooked into your electrical system but hidden behind a wall/ fixture where you can't see it? Seems like it might pose a potential fire hazard to me...

If you do it anyways, one thing to look out for is if you can get a 'straight run' for the pull chain coming out of the hole you drill into the fixture. I know from experience that pull chains don't like turns and can tend to stick if the pull isn't directly in line with the pull chain device. I think you'd be better off drilling a whole in the fixture & wiring in a toggle switch instead of a pull chain if you decide to go the 'modification' route.

Seems like there's got to be a better solution to me.

How much light do you need? Do they make something like those battery operated 'stick up' lights that are led based so you don't have to worry about changing the batteries very often?

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

These pull chain switches are used in ceiling fans. These are enclosed in the fixture. They are just put in there at the factory, instead of my work bench. I really don't know I am just posing the question.

Xcusme

Commander

Gees, it should be simle enough to find a low profile, surface mount light of your choice and mount a pull chain switch into it. The switch would be wired in series with the black wire. The add-on switch will mount into a 3/8" (approx) hole.

ndemge

Commander

I'ave got a floresent fixture that came out of a cubical from work mounted on my wall going down the basement... looks great and gives out lots o light.

Ron G

Commander

Xcusme said:
Gees, it should be simle enough to find a low profile, surface mount light of your choice and mount a pull chain switch into it. The switch would be wired in series with the black wire. The add-on switch will mount into a 3/8" (approx) hole.
And all you got to do is drill the hole easy and simple.and yes just about any fixture can be turned into a pull chain switched one.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ignore my above post, I was visualizing something different than what I now see you're trying to do.