Does anyone make a Stainless prop for 40hp 2cyl Johnson??

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
I'd like to fit my 1993 2cyl 2stroke 40hp Johnson with a stainless prop that provides some lift. I just got the motor and boat with 2 aluminum props and haven't even tested them both out but would like to start doing the research now for improving it. I'd like to go stainless if possible because the sand here in the WI River eats aluminum and it seems to me stainless is the way to go for performance profiles. Boat is a Javelin 350A stripped down bassboat. It is a pretty small light boat, only rated for 60hp. A quick jog around the internet fouund me no stainless props for this motor, are they out there???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Does anyone make a Stainless prop for 40hp 2cyl Johnson??

It's a well guarded secret (apparently) but I bet Walleyehed might have some suggestions. PM him and see.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

In your message to him, tell him I said he's a "Hot Shot" and see what he says. I'll bet he says something back about a "Triad". (It's just another name for Hot Shot)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

A secret?? Sounds expensive! LOL

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I've googled the Hot Shot and Triad props. They both look pretty much like I want, very similar to my Raker on the last boat I had. Thanks a lot D I was hoping you would have a tip for me.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I'd suggest that you talk to Kenny before you make any decisions.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Will do, thankyou. I need to get the boat out with it's current props and see what RPM and speed I'm at etc. so I know about where to go with the new prop but I will get ahold of Kenny too and see what he can do for me.

Thanks again for looking out for me.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I ran the boat on 3 occasions now with the 2 props it came with. The 15" pitch allowed rpms to go much too high. It was very difficult to keep under 6000rpm with the throttle and trim. The 17" was much better. Good holeshot, good power. At first I thought I was getting 5800 rpms out of it but then I took out the GPS the third time. It turns out my speed tops out at 33mph @ 5600 rpms. I can get more rpms by trimming out further but the speed stays the same and eventually the prop blows out at around 6000 rpm.

The boat has a 20" transom with 7" of built in setback. Tha motor is mounted as low as it goes and it sprays up into the splashwell at low speeds. I'd like to be able to raise the motor but I know the aluminum prop won't hold if I do. In a perfect world I'd like to get more bow lift and be able to raise the motor a bit and hopefully get more speed and a few more rpms out of a 17" stainless prop. Sound reasonable?

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

One way to do that (in most cases) is to add some setback - but you already have a 7" setback so that may be enough...

Bob

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I bought a 13P Rapture Stainless for a 40 Evinrude I had on a previous boat. Bought it through iBoats. I haven't checked lately but I suspect 17P is available.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Silvertip, are you happy with that prop?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I used it once and it's still in my shop. I sold the motor and the buyer wanted the aluminum prop that was on it. Who am I to argue! d:) The motor was really too small for the boat but I was bound and determined to make it work. The motor was really a peach and I hated to part with it so I was playing with props trying to make it work. It was simply too low a pitch for the application. The engine was also mounted too high for it so it suffered severe ventilation. I replace the motor with a 75 HP Merc and never looked back. I would make you a deal you couldn't refuse but I know you don't need a 13P.