Unusual propulsion system

Dunaruna

Admiral
[colour=blue]Came across this little gem at my local marina. No reverse gear, the entire pod rotates to achieve reverse. Maybe not an earth shattering discovery except that - it was built in 1968!

P1010062-1.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Unusual propulsion system

maybe its an optical illusion but I cant see enough fwd clearence for the pod to rotate 180+ degrees.
there used to be a fleeet in bayou Labatre AL with 2cylinder lathrops that just shut the engine down and restarted it the opposite rotation for reverseing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I remember (vaguely) reading about this setup. Unfortunately that's all I remember. Reversing an engine was a cheap way to get reverse in that era. I was In Germany in the early 1960's and Messerschmit (sp) made a two seat (fore-aft) car that required switching off the engine, flipping a lever, and starting the engine in reverse to back out the driveway. Reverse the process to go forward. Looked like a coffin with a bubble top on wheels. No reason the technology wouldn't work in this application. A little slow to respond if you approached the dock a little quick.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]I agree, it doesn't appear to be able to swing 180.

I have just found out who owns the boat, I'm hoping to take a much closer looksee next weekend.

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

man
that engine box looks like a nightmare from a maint standpoint.

I look fwd to more pics and information :).

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

I could not imagine trying to wrench something in there. I guess we know why it never hit the mass market.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There are some Ferries in British Columbia that operate like that. I was working on a Dual-Fuel repower for a pair of them that are already CNG now :% They hum along at 100% power and simply spin 'em around to stop . . .

salty87

Commander

does that whole red 'barrel' rotate? seems like that would be real tough on old hoses. not to mention take a bunch of room just for operating clearance.

plus, if that pod jams for whatever reason, you lose steering?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Silvertip said:
I remember (vaguely) reading about this setup. Unfortunately that's all I remember. Reversing an engine was a cheap way to get reverse in that era. I was In Germany in the early 1960's and Messerschmit (sp) made a two seat (fore-aft) car that required switching off the engine, flipping a lever, and starting the engine in reverse to back out the driveway. Reverse the process to go forward. Looked like a coffin with a bubble top on wheels. No reason the technology wouldn't work in this application. A little slow to respond if you approached the dock a little quick.

SkiDoo snowmobiles reverse the engine for reverse gear. Easy to do on a two stroke.

triman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most ships are direct drive, that is the engine/shaft/propellor is one fixed unit. To go astern the engine is stopped and restarted backwards. Works with both the big 2 and 4 stroke diesels.

ziggy

Admiral

i'm wondering if this isn't what's called a saildrive?

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]
salty87 said:
does that whole red 'barrel' rotate? seems like that would be real tough on old hoses. not to mention take a bunch of room just for operating clearance.

plus, if that pod jams for whatever reason, you lose steering?

It looks as though the red circle at the top is a fixed bracket for the pivot pin. The two radiator hoses look fixed - but I'm not sure.

The guy sitting on the swim platform assures me that it steers very well ( I showed a lot of scepticism!). It was manufactured by 'Ramsay Boats' in the 60's.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Nope, I'm wrong, the whole thing pivots.