'69 Evinrude 33HP: Found cracks while servicing water pump (pics)

i386

Captain
I pulled the lower unit yesterday (no broken bolts this time!) and found a couple of cracks. I believe these to be in non-critical areas and repairable with some J-B Weld. What do you guys think?

Lower unit removed
DSC00907.JPG

Small crack in housing
DSC00908.JPG

Same crack, different view
DSC00910.JPG

Crack under the impeller plate
DSC00911.JPG

Another view
DSC00912.JPG

I might add that only about a teaspoon of water came out with the lower unit oil when I drained it. It wasn't milky.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: '69 Evinrude 33HP: Found cracks while servicing water pump (pics)

I think you should host your pics at photobucket.com...

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's frost damage from water that collects in those pockets. I've seen it quite a few times but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. They don't ever seem to get any worse.

I go kind of nuts sealing the impeller wear plate to keep the water out of the big pockets. I suppose it might make better sense to drill or mill little drainage slots.

While you've got it apart and we're on the subject, make sure the passage at the very bottom of the exhaust cavity is clear. That one runs right down through the lower unit and exits on the side just above the "bullet" through a little 3/16 or so hole. Water freezing in there can cause much nastier damage.

i386

Captain

Paul said:
I go kind of nuts sealing the impeller wear plate to keep the water out of the big pockets.

I'm glad you mentioned sealing the impeller plate. My manual says use "sealer No. 1000". I assume this product is no longer available. What is a suitable equivilant?

Oh and thanks for the other tip. I will check that as well.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If the cracks are between the water intake and exhaust areas, it will kill the water pump suction and it won't pump.

mcallan

Cadet

Well if the cracks concern you! I have a brand new still in the box original empty gearcase for that. Mike

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sealant - whatever's going. Besides silicone of course. Many very good techs don't use any sealant there at all, and I've got doubts that OMC ever used it from the factory.

I don't see the infamous web crack that allows exhaust gasses in. But I don't think that was caused by freezing anyway.

This is what happens if that little drain at the bottom gets plugged:
4hkq8g3.jpg

It's not terminal but it's a lot of work to fix.

test