Smart Tabs get short shrift from....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
....JD Power & Assoc.

I just got an iboats Transom newsletter email. It had a JD Powers survey that they implored me to fill out.

In the survey they asked if you had trim tabs. Then listed numerous brands for you to select and give your opinion of. Smart Tabs were not one of the choices and the only option you had was to mark 'Other' when faced with the brand selection.

Seems they did not want to know the truth, Huh?

crunch

Commander
Re: Smart Tabs get short shrift from....

Most likely JD Powers has never heard of smart tabs... (probably wouldn't fit on their 150' Yacht anyway)

Give them a break... if after further study you are right, make it in a bone.

QC

Supreme Mariner

FWIW Boomer I have experience with three types of tabs. Hi performance kinda k-planes, Bennett's and SmartTabs, all less than 23 ft. For me it is adjustables like the Bennett's and k-planes hands down. They are just simply more flexible and of course adjustable. Yes, SmartTabs do the primary job of lower speed planing and stability, but you simply cannot do all of the other stuff you can with the others.

This is definitely not a slam on SmartTabs, they do exactly what they claim they do, they are lower cost and they are very easy to install (I installed all three). However, on this board they are often considered superior to adjustables and that is simply not the case unless you are incapable of using the adjustable switches properly . . .

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not a knock on Smart Tabs but here is a pretty good discussion of the pro and cons of fixed vs. adjustable systems.

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=1165683

I would venture to guess that near shore and offshore boats make up an over whelming majority of tabs users and as QC noted, adjustable tabs offer far superior performance in that type of an environment.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify, Smart Tabs are NOT fixed tabs. They self adjust. Of course electrical or hydraulic tabs should offer a degree of flexibility. Just like an over the road truck VS a pickup. One needs to consider cost in the discussion. Bang for the buck quotient comes to mind in which case Smart Tabs wins hands down.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I might add the validity or usefulness of a survey is what questions are asked and how the questions are asked. In the survey business these are called smile sheets. Ask the question in a specific way you will get the answer you want -- not the answer you deserve.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Hi Folks;

Lets not get into which type of product is better. I too have used Hydraulic trim tabs on two of my boats in the past. One was a 24 SeaRay Sundancer many years ago. I was pleased with the performance advantages. The other boat was a 32' Carver Sedan bridge, and I would not have been able to handle the boat without them.

Smart Tabs primary target market is the 15 through 21 foot boat with multiple uses (skiing, boarding, tubing, cruising, fishing, etc) These boat seldom have trim tabs and the cost for helm controlled trim tabs is often more than the boater can spend. We do not consider our product to be in competition with helm controlled tabs since their core market is larger boats. Obviously there is some overlap in markets.

We feel that Smart Tabs provide an alternative to changing props to correct boat attitude and handling, and hydrofoils for planing performance without sacrificing or compromising other aspects of boat performance.

In some cases Smart Tabs may be a better alternative (disregarding price) for helm controlled tabs if the pilot is either not comfortable with the extra switches, or needs to devote more attention to other activities such as the skier.

There are limits to the corrective capability of Smart Tabs since they operate similar to a suspension system on a car. If the boat falls within the limits of the system, we find that the consumers are very satisfied. We therefore target our product carefully.

I am not sure that we belong in the survey that JD Powers is conducting since we do not know the parameters, but it would be nice to know. If anyone can forward the survey to me (john@NauticusInc.com) I would appreciate the effort.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree 100% with nautijohn's (jdeagro) post and I hope he knows that. I am just uncomfortable with the line blurring. They are different products both with proper applications and market segments.

kengladd

Seaman

John, I just put them on my 17 ft CC and I do not care if they are on the survey or not, they work great for me

LadyFish

Admiral

We installed Smart Tabs on our 22' Wellcraft a couple of years ago and have been very happy with them. For the price and our type of usage they work great!!!

lowe160

Seaman Apprentice

John, I sent you the survey.

Wayne

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

lowe 160

I got the survey - thanks!

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

John, has anyone put you smarttabs on a 2005 Tahoe Q4 Sport I/O with 3.0L Mercruiser that you know of? Any information from the user on his results and installation processes would be appreciated. I have been considering adding these to my boat to handle the low speed zig-zagging I am constantly having to deal with.

Thanks,
Wes

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Chopper Doc;

Yes I have!

The low speed wander is do to bow steering. The keel is deep into the water at slow speeds and since the motor is pushing the boat from the furthest point back the bow has an easy time when it comes to walking side to side.

Tha is one of the little benefits to Smart Tabs. The other benefits are much more dramatic.

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

John, has anyone posted pics of their installation so I can view exactly how it was done? My Tahoe Q4 Sport has strap eyes on the transom that run down to the trailer. And there is also the transducer as well. I am sure I can move the transducer but the boat doesn't have the typical flat back transom design. Everything is tucked under the swim platform in a rather tight channel. Do you have a link of info or maybe even refer me to another post?

Thanks for any info.

Wes

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

Another few quick and dumb questions. What thickness of metal are the tab plates and what material are they? Are they chrome plated? Are they mirror finished Stainless Steel? I did notice that iboats sell your products and they also have some with blemishes that seem to garner exceptional savings. Can you give a better description of the blemishes? Will the blemished areas have a tendancy to corrode over time? Are the actuators gas charged shocks or are they spring over type? I am an aircraft mechanic so I do understand how these things will work. Without seeing them work and with no personal experience I can still say they seem like an excellent design. Simplicity is a great thing especially when it works well as your product seems to. I have read a lot about the smart tabs and all has been good. I like things that are not overly designed by some engineer who has no idea of what his design is actually going to do when it is installed on the end product. I work on aircraft and I see things everyday that are designed by engineers who are trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak. These tabs dont seem that way. They just seem to allow what you have to work in a more efficient way. Which is a good thing. Without rebuilding the boat.

Wes

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Chopper Doc;

I thought you were a dentist! Ha!

Anyway, the product has always been 304 or 316 Stainless Steel, we started to use a 2B finnish ( semi polished) over the polished about two years ago. The blemished product will have the same life and rust resistance as the standard product. They also have the same warranty.

The Gas Actuators are nitrogen filled, no metal spring inside. The valving is modified to create the type of response to the water pressure that is in concert with the application.

Go to our website www.Nauticusinc.com to view installation pictures.

On the home page go to the left side menue toward the bottom and click on instructions / installation. The scroll down to the pictures. Hope this helps.

I can assure you it will be worth the effort of installation.

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

A Dentist? ROFLMAO Now that is funny indeed 8)

Actually I have checked your site prior to my questions because after all of my browsing your site I had a few questions left... and whom else better to ask than the man himself? Thanks for your reply to my post as I am sure you are a busy man.

Chopper Doc = Helicopter Mechanic

It would be nice to have dentist income but I am glad I don't have to dig around in other folks' mouths.

Wes

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

If you have any more questions please feel free to call 800-233-0194

studlymandingo

Commander

Chopper doc... I was just about to ask if you were my buddy Charles in Point Clear AL. He builds custom motorcycles!