i386 Boat Restoration. (Crosby Sled)

i386

Captain
Re: i386 Boat Restoration. (Crosby Sled)

... continued

DSC03206.JPG

Trusty surform tool.

DSC03208.JPG

Epoxy shavings.

The first thing I'm doing is removing the big repair on the bow and filling any big spots and gouges.

The repair on the bow was made by one of the previous owners using a bondo fiberglass repair kit. There were 3 layers of cloth. I thought I'd have to grind all this off but turns out is was pretty easy. Using the surform tool, I started working through the glass on the keel near the bow. It didn't take long to cut down to the gelcoat. This exposed the edge of the cloth so that I could get a chisel under it. Most of the cloth got chiseled and pulled off. The rest, got sanded.

I've got a good many spots to fill. Most were where I made repairs from inside the hull. Some were just gouges from stumps and rocks. I'm filling with epoxy resin with 3M glass bubbles thickened with some cabosil. The glass bubbles makes the epoxy fairly easy to sand. Trust me, you don't want to sand cured pure epoxy resin. The stuff is hard as a rock.

So what I've done is glob on a good bit of this thickend resin onto the spots I'm working on. Then after a few hours, I come back with the surform tool. You want to do this before the resin fully cures. It should be pretty rigid, but still soft enough that it would gum up sandpaper. I work the surform tool over the resin and it just shaves the excess away. That way I won't have to use the sander to remove a lot of material.

I made a thin sanding block to reach where my sander won't. Luckily, I won't have to use it too much as the surfaces of this hull are pretty forgiving to sand.

So far, this stage has been some of the easiest work I've done. I'm enjoying it.

i386

Captain

Almost ready to prime! One final pass with filler and a little sanding is all that needs to be done.

i386

Captain

The first coat of primer is on.

1qt. of Interlux Epoxy Primecote thinned 20% 2333N.

Hull was washed and dried. Then cleaned with 202 solvent wash followed by a water rinse. It was dried thoroughly with paper towels, then dusted with a tack cloth. I did all that after I mixed the primer so it could sit for about 30 mins.

This was rolled with a foam roller and tipped with a cheap 3" paintbrush. I'm saving my good badger hair brush for the paint.

DSC03360.JPG

DSC03361.JPG

DSC03362.JPG

DSC03363.JPG

Next is to fill a few pin holes and other spots I missed, give it a good scuff sanding and give her another coat of primer. I need to build up the surface some more so I'll have something to work down to. I have enough primer for 4 coats. I'm hoping 3 will be the most I'll need.

i386

Captain

By the way, I went trolling on Craigslist for some photos of this type of boat. I found one in Florida. The owner was kind enough to send me some high res photos of his. This is the first one I've ever seen a logo on. I should have no problem recreating logos for mine with the photo he sent me. A good winter project.

Here's a lower resolution version of what he sent me...

PICT0002.JPG

i386

Captain

Did my scuff sanding tonight and a little more filling. Will sand down the filled spots tomorrow. Second primer coat goes on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

I'm having second thoughts about painting the hull black. I thought it would be a nice match for my black truck, but it'll also show off every little imperfection. The deck parts won't be black (too hot).

What do y'all think? Black, White, Gray?

Color Chart

zach103

Commander

for the deck parts?? i say white

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a crosby tri hul almost idetical to that one. Everything looks idetical ecept for the splaswell area and the driver's seat. The one I have the splashwell is flat all the way across without the recessed area and the driver's seat goes all the way acoss. I think it is an older model as well because it has the old cable and pully steering setup and no hull number.

I've always wanted to fix it up but never got around to it. I just bought a newer project boat and this thread has inspired me to work on the one our family has had ever since I can remember. BTW, Everything is looking great.

i386

Captain

Yes, I think there have been at least two variations.

Here are some pics I've dug up while doing research.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mmullis/CrosbySledResearch#

Is your splashwell made like this?

IMGP0118.JPG

I've never seen one like this up close. The rub rail is different than mine too. I'd like to get a closer look to see how these are done.

I'd love to add some pics of yours if you have any or want to take any. Does yours have a name plate? Here's mine...

DSC02366.JPG

Thanks for checking in.:)

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its like this one. See how the driver's seat goes all the way across but the passenger side is raised a few inches. Its even the same factory color. I'll get some detailed pics this weekend and post them up.

I don't even know if it has a name plate. I know it dosn't have a hul ID on the transom but I'll check this weekend.

010207010304010406200808306e760b8c8.jpg

i386

Captain

I have not seen one made like that. I bet it's older than mine. I'm betting the hull is the same though. It also appears we have the same rub rail. My label is located on the splashwell. The hull ID on mine is stamped into the gellcoat just above the bow eye.

I'm in LaGrange, BTW.:)

fire7882

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think mine is older as well. I havn't checked for the hull ID by the bow eye. It might have one after all.

Your lucky, LaGrange ir right by a lake. I'm in Atlanta(Smyrna to be specific) half the week and Swainsboro(between Macon and Savannah) the other half. No lake anywhere within an hour of Swainsboro but Allatoona is only about 25 miles down the road from Smyrna.

i386

Captain

I was in Smyrna last Saturday at West Marine and Boaters World. I'm pretty familliar with Smyrna and "MayRetta", but I never knew those paces were there. It's an odd place to find a marine store, even stranger to find two. I should have went to Boaters World first, but I didn't think they carried my primer. It turns out, they do and they're $20 cheaper than West Marine.:rolleyes:

We've got at least one member here who's home lake is Allatoona. That would be Bassboy1.

Yea, I'm in a pretty good spot. There are 3 houses in my neighborhood that have docks on West Point Lake. I don't have one, but there are probably 10 boat ramps 10 mins. from home. The lakes below West Point are not that far either. There's also lake Weedowee across the state line. Plenty of places for me to wash lures.;)

daviscfad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i386.. I have one of these crosby sleds also. It was given to meearlier this year. I have finished the outside of the hull and hooked the motor up so i could use it while i am waiting to finish my 211 liberator. I think i am going to do a spray in bedlinner for the inside. I dont care for carpet and is way to much work to paint .. I have a 40 evinrude on mine that runs like a sewing machine. Couldnt ask for anything better. Yours is looking great though

Willyclay

Captain

Great work! Thanks for making so many pixs during the project. That helps everybody else. Agree that gray deck color is best to hold down glare.

i386

Captain

i386.. I have one of these crosby sleds also. It was given to meearlier this year. I have finished the outside of the hull and hooked the motor up so i could use it while i am waiting to finish my 211 liberator. I think i am going to do a spray in bedlinner for the inside. I dont care for carpet and is way to much work to paint .. I have a 40 evinrude on mine that runs like a sewing machine. Couldnt ask for anything better. Yours is looking great though

Cool! Post some pics please.:)

Great work! Thanks for making so many pixs during the project. That helps everybody else. Agree that gray deck color is best to hold down glare.

Thanks!

i386

Captain

Hmm I wonder how many variations of this boat there are. Looks like the hull is the same, but the cap is different. Same riveted rub rail too.

How fast does she run with that 40hp? I was hoping for somewhere between 20-25 mph with my 33.

daviscfad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i get about 20 to 25 with it.. Mine used to have the console in it. The guy i got it from took all that out and had the sticksteer so thats what i use.

i386

Captain

I'll be happy if it will do that. That's plenty fast for where I will take it. I am still trying to figure out how I will do the new console. I can't even fit between the stock console and the steering wheel (I'm tall).

I need room to sit and drive.
A casting deck.
A small area in the back for an occasional fishing buddy to fish from.
Place for gas tank, starting battery, and fishing battery.
Some storage.

All the while trying to never forget that this isn't a 19' bass boat and I can't have everything.