lower unit or internal gears for 15 hp mercury ODO2592

holbs

Cadet
Im having a hard time figuring out what I need to get to rebuild my lower unit. I managed to get a dealer to use the special tool to unwind my lower unit so i could see what was going on in the inside but when i told him to order the parts that i would need to fix it and he said it would be around 400 bucks just for parts. Then he tells me that he's not sure which parts to order cause there is two different breakdowns and they have different part numbers for the gears. NExt he tells me that i need to go home and see what my drive shaft looks like wheather it is the same size all the way down or smaller at one point that the other. I called him back and told him that it was the same size all the way down. That was two weeks ago. If I could get both the tool put it back together plus the parts im pretty sure i could do it myself but im loosen it here, i was so frustrated that i went out and bought a nother boat just to do some fishing this year but if youve read the post that thing has plenty problems of its own. Why do dealers all suck so bad? Im trying to spend my money with them but customer service is like a foreign language to them

Laddies

Banned
Re: lower unit or internal gears for 15 hp mercury ODO2592

holbs, take your serial number and go to the BAM Marine site they will have parts breakdown and prices that you need

holbs

Cadet

THanks im headin there right now!

golfcarmad

Cadet

can you pls explain what you mean by special tool to unwind lower unti????

Laddies

Banned

It's a spanner to unscrew the carrier from the lower unit hsg.

holbs

Cadet

Yes it is laddies and where would i pick one up at or it would be ideal to rent one Is there anyway i could improvise?

Laddies

Banned

I made one out of a piece of pipe by cutting in the 3 notchs and drilling 2 holes for a handle

holbs

Cadet

Laddies said:
I made one out of a piece of pipe by cutting in the 3 notchs and drilling 2 holes for a handle
I like the sound of that!