Imact gun on prop nut?

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class
The title says it all I guess....I have a prop wrench but it is always a wrestleing match....I have always hesitated at putting an impact wrench on it to loosen..never to tighten...any thoughts?

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Imact gun on prop nut?

I can't see a feasable need to use a impact gun.......the nut is never that tight. I have no problems with just a stanard socket wrench.

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL there is to 180 degree responces LOL Ok I put antiseize onto the threads this time maybe that will help !

tiller7104

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pony, while looking at your Mirrorcraft restoration I notice that you do not use a trailer for you boat? Any reason? Just curious!

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just snug it up.and put the cotter pin in.No way should you be getting close to the torque of an impact gun,or need to.What do you do if you need to replace the prop and you don't have an air compressor ?

DHP

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you have a nut with no nylon locking device, have at it. If you have the nylon self locking feature it will drive the impact crazy.

Easies way to remove the nut is to put a board between the antivent plate and prop. Grasp the nut with a wrench and start twisting. Not that big of a deal.

Mark

Pony

Rear Admiral

tiller7104 said:
Pony, while looking at your Mirrorcraft restoration I notice that you do not use a trailer for you boat? Any reason? Just curious!

I would use one if I had one. I am incredibly picky about trailers, and all the used ones I have come across so far had issues I didnt want to deal with. I have 4x8ft utility trailer that I plan to use now instead. I am making bunks that will slide into the stake pockets. As soon as I come across something that I don;t mind for a reasonable price I am jumping on it.