Timing and sync. of merc. inlines

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer
ok guys, faq's timing and sync: i've read this and read this and i'am completely lost just after remove all plugs except #1 and hook a timing light to it and follow the narrative. no problem, i can do everything up to this point... but how do you use a timing light when the engine can't run due to 5 other plugs removed. seems the step-by-step ends here and i'm LOST

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Timing and sync. of merc. inlines

This might help, Credit to Bob_VT:

Timing Event One - throttle pickup.
As the throttle is advanced, the spark timing advances toward TDC and then to before TDC. As the timing is just passing TDC the 1st (minor)throttle pickup should hit and start to open the carbs. Use the timing light. Adjust the tang or trigger screw to make this a reality. All of them are speced different, but if the 1st pickup hits at 3-4 degrees BTDC advance - you win. Use the timing light with a friend cranking it to complete this setting.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

chief, that paragragh explains the events of timing event one just fine but, how do you achieve these marks. how can a timing light work with 5 plugs removed and the instructions in FAQ states w/ engine off... how the heck is a timing light going to operate. is somebody supposed to be cranking this engine or what!! what triggers this timing light?

emckelvy

Commander

All 6 plugs should be removed from their cylinders. Plugs #2 thru #6 should be reinserted into their spark plug boots and the spark plugs firmly grounded to the metal structure of the block or inner cowling supports.

Also reinsert a spark plug in #1 cyl and clamp the body of that spark plug against the cowling support or other handy metal part.

Snap the timing light inductive pickup around #1 spark plug wire and then you can proceed with the timing checks as outlined in the FAQ.

If you don't have a 2nd person to help with spinning the starter motor, you can use a remote operating switch to activate the starter solenoid.

Connect one side of the switch to the (+) battery terminal and the other side to the YELLOW wire on the starter solenoid.

This will allow you to run the starter, with the key in the "ON" position in order to get spark and do your timing checks.

Hope this helps clear it up a bit..........ed

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

aaahhaa!! now your talkin' chief!! now, one clarification.. put #1 back in it's cylinder...and attach plug wire or, put into plug wire and clamp plug to ground out of the cylinder. hang w/ me the lights getting brighter!!

timmathis

Lieutenant

You set the timing at cranking speed. While turning over the motor with the starter only. It will not be running at this time!!!
I always double check it started to make sure it does not go over or under 21 degrees max advance.
Good luck, Tim

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

thanks tim, everyone has been very helpful. this site is absolutlely great!!

emckelvy

Commander

I prefer to remove ALL spark plugs from the cylinders.

My reasoning is, if you leave one plug in, and you're cranking the engine over with the spark plug wire attached, it's possible the engine may run. Granted, you've probably run it out of gas but things can always happen. Perfect Paranoia is Perfect Awareness, as they say in the movies :love:

It's just as easy to remove the spark plug and clamp it to the metal cowling or block. It's going to spark just as well as if it were in the cylinder.

And with all the spark plugs removed, it reduces the electrical load on your starter and battery while you're cranking it over to check/adjust the timing.

One last thought, you should have earmuffs on and a slight amount of water flowing, so the impeller isn't spinning dry while you're cranking the motor over. Or at least, have run it before and there's a bit of water left in the pump to lube the rubber blades.

Again, probably not a supercritical thing but it makes me feel better about the motor so I do it anyway. Whatever works for ya.

Just my $.02.............ed

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

thanks again everyone! i read and study every reply i receive. believe-it-or-not i have a manual from seloc on this motor...but you know what, it's not the same as y'all telling me..the manual is very technical and doesn't take me anywhere..it's not in shop-talk!!

JBYRD2006

Recruit
Re: Timing and sync. of 2.3 FORD 1988 inlines

Help Engine Turns Over But Will Not Fire. Need To Know What The Gap Is On Points 2.3l Omc Ford 1988. It Will Back Fire In The Carb? EMAIL AT JCABLEMAN2001@YAHOO.COM

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Welcome to iboats JB!!
You may want to start a new thread for your question, and answers will be posted here for all to learn from.