Help Plz. 1964 Murray Trailer: Repacking Bearing

I am repacking the bearing on a Murray trailer (1964). Just took off hubs and the bearings look fine, no scoring or burnt/dark spots. They spin freely. However, when I took off the hub caps there was water, I presume from the launch ramp. Not emulsified grease, just some whitish water and packed grease.

After reading the posts, I note talk of zerk/grease fitting on the rear of the hubs, mine has none. Am I to presume then that all I can do is put new seals on the back and fill with grease and check and re-pack every season. Also, the seals do not appear to be of the type that would prevent water penetration.

I have had no problems, just bought the boat in July. No bearing noise or other issues. Total trailer weight w/boat is about 900-1000 lbs. Should I then just repack and assume that the water will not be an issue??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Samuel

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help Plz. 1964 Murray Trailer: Repacking Bearing

Clean out all the grease...all of it. Since you don't know what type grease was in there, you should replace it.

Not sure when bearing buddies came out but I believe late 60's. These replace your dust cap and allow you to pressurise the hub with grease. You would have to get a double lip seal.

You could pack it all up, not do the bearing buddy and just change the seal but you will probably get water in again....your call.

If it were my trailer, I would get bearing buddies and the double lip seal.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Packing a bearing consisists of forcing grease into the cavities between the rollers and inner race. You do that by hand or using a bearing packer. You don't just stuff the hub full of grease. Once the bearings are packed you can certainly fill the hub with grease but its not necessary if you have good seals and a tight fitting hub cap. Once assembled, a bearing buddy can be installed which allows adding grease to the hub to fill it and maintain a slight positive pressure.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yup, just get a gob of grease in your palm and keep turning the bearing over and over in it until it's oozing out everywhere.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

buddy bearings a worth every cent and a lot more.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

tashasdaddy said:
buddy bearings a worth every cent and a lot more.
Absolutely. I dont know about anyone else but I always give them a shot with the grease gun when they have been in the water just to make sure. Gives me a warmer, fuzzier feeling about towing a single axle trailer. That and tire inspection and pressures makes for a much more relaxed haul if going a distance.