Gas tank out of moth balls needs cleaning

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just took the 9.9 merc outboard along with tank out of hibernation and the inside of gas tank has some dirt and residual gasoline. What's the best way to clean the tank and hose?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Gas tank out of moth balls needs cleaning

depends if you have a plastic or metal tank .... with the metal tanks I take the part off where the fuel pipe connects, cause the lid of the tanks have that edge that you can't get all the dirt out of .... then just flush it out with clean fuel and dump it out .....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it still has gas in it, tilt the can so everthing goes to one corner, then use one of the little pump siphoin hoses and pump it out, you may have to add a little gas to get it all, replace the gas line if it's old, or use a small nail, paper clip, and pump gas thru is until your are sure. if the motor has sat up for over a year be sure to service the lower unit and change the impeller.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Probably best to throw the hose away and get a new one if it is more than 10 years old.

As long as the residual gas has not turned to varnish, you can rinse it out with kerosene.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Varnish is the usual residue from old fuel. Take it from old farmers who restored 40 and 50 year old tractors; the way to do it is to go to the grocery store and buy yourself 10 or howmany ever gallons of 5% distilled vinegar like you would put on your salad with a little olive oil......skip the oil d:) .

Put it in the tank for a week; slosh it around once a day, and pour it out; clean as a whistle and only cost you about $20. Can't beat it with a stick.

Mark

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a tank that was sitting around for about 20 years and as you would expect...had a real thick gooey mess left inside...sort of rusty looking too.

I rinsed it out as well as I could. Then I dumped a quart or two of fresh gas in...along with a handful of glass marbles (the kind kids play with...)

Then...put the tank in the back of the truck and drove around for a month or so.

Worked very well...I use that tank regularly now.

Chuck

summerwind1991

Petty Officer 2nd Class

excellent advice. Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

shoot you can get a new red plastic tank a walmart for 14-16 $. and put your fitting on it.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class

I searched "cleaning gas tanks" and read most of the threads. This one I liked the most. So I have my MFG and it had a 1979 'Rude on it. It had to have the fuel pre-mixed in the tank. Best guess I came up with based on an internet conversion site is the tank holds about 45 gallons (46"Lx23"Wx10"H). Now I have an '87 Yamaha 200 on it. The 2 stroke is pre-mixed with the precision blend system. Will these methods I've read, vinegar, hot water, carburetor cleaner, take out the sludgy oil, varnish, oxydation crap in my tank? There is about a gallon or so of gas still in the tank from who knows when. The tank seems clean and the gas somewhat clear. Still it's been empty with all that summer/winter air inside it for ever. Suggestions?

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

im with you keepers i need to do it to a tank i have sat for 4 yrs sluddged all up.??

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I'd finish it off like this.

Get a cotton cloth that will absorb a lot of liquid.....maybe like the polishing cloths you can buy in bulk at auto parts stores, and tie a string on it. Force it down the fill tube and into the tank till you get the majority of it. May have to use several cloths. Might have to position the trailer at a funny angle to get it all in the area that you can access with the cloth.

Then you might want to put some raw gas in the tank and drive the trailer around the block or so and remove that in a similar manner.

Then get a couple extra fuel filters and go about your business. Just take some tools along that will allow you to change the filter if the engine dies.

Mark