Lower Assembly Repair

Jon686

Cadet
I have a question in ref. to an older model Johnson 25 SeaHorse. Upon following the book and some good advise listed here in the many forums I have read, I have managed to disassemble the gears on the lower assembly. This was done due to it feeling like I hit something while going forward, but not in reverse. Well my question is: I have found a part number on the dog which is 3250147. Everywhere I look on the internet, I can't find that part number. Also when I took off the dog, I think a pin fell out, but I am not sure. I was curious if there is indeed a pin which goes through the spring in the shaft under the dog? The best guess is that it is a earlier 70' s model motor and there is no visible serial number. I know there isn't much here as far as the age of the motor, but if anyone is familiar please help. thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Assembly Repair

Part number for the clutch dog is 0390030. The Spring is # 53 (SPRING,Detent) in the diagram....Do you still have the small ball bearing from either end of the spring?

convert

Jon686

Cadet

No, That's what I dropped. Just looking at it, I was expecting a pin, not ball bearings. When I looked at the gears, everything looked good. The only thing that I noticed was that the gears and dog didn't connect very well, but (after losing the bearing and the dog sliding) after taking the prop shaft completely out of the housing everything seemed to engage extremely well. Is this common when (as everyone seems to be telling me) the dog and gears get worn. By the way, there is no missing teeth or extreme wear on the gears that I can see. I did notice that the prop shaft does have approx. 1 in of play before it catches on the gear, and where it catches there seems to be a little wear on the gear. I figured that if the gear or dog was worn, it would be a little more evident.

Jon686

Cadet

By the way, rick you have helped me more than I actually expected in your reply to my first question.
Thank you very much.
Jon

Paul Moir

Admiral

It takes suprisingly little wear in the dog's ears to cause it to jump. Just a little round-over at the ends seems to do it.
All the modern outboard dogs I've looked at have a degree or so of rake in them so that they engage the gears more positively. I think this was really a weak point on the 22.0CID.

There's a pin that indexes to bearing #34, make sure it hasn't been squashed into the housing and when you re-assemble, be sure to align the bearing properly.

Jon686

Cadet

I didn't see the pin that you were speaking of. Where exactly is it. And when I was trying to find the parts online, every one of the dogs I found were three ears. This one is a two ear. If I change out all three gears and the dog to a three ear, will it matter?

Paul Moir

Admiral

You must use a 2 eared dog with 2 eared gears. I believe there's an updated gearset that uses a 3 eared dog but unless you want to invest in that, you're stuck with 2.

Can you post some pictures of your engine so we can determine the year? From that, we'll be able to give you a P/N which you will be able to purchase from any dealer, including online ones (like maxrules.com). I couldn't seem to get anywhere with the number on the dog. (that's not entirely unusual)

The pin I'm speaking of should be in where the bearing rides on the top half of the lower unit. I'm not certain it's even on your outboard though.

Jon686

Cadet

Give me a second and I will post several pic's of the motor and lower assembly.

Jon686

Cadet

Problem's posting I have several pic's. Can you send me an e-mail and I will send them to you.

Jon686

Cadet

Its on its way. There are several pics. Hope you have high speed internet.
Jon

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ok I've got them. It's a little hard to tell with the various paint, but it looks like a '72 or a '73. Check out the spark plug wires - if they go into some ignition coils it's a '73, if they go up under the flywheel it's a '72.

Either way, they both use clutch dog 316501, which superceeds to 390030. Available from any dealer for about $80.

Jon686

Cadet

I know that the pic's are a little fuzzy on some, but, does that look like the problem (the clutch dog)? And if I change out the clutch dog, should I change the gears as well?