If you can't say something nice....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
People who come to these forums generally want to share what they know, share what they have done, or get help. All kinds of people, all different skill sets and skill levels.

I find it annoying when people start picking on what someone has done, especially when the poster has taken the time to post a photo and write about his accomplishment. Then arguing ensues and thread goes to crap. Here is a good example of what I mean:

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=26;gtid=1147496

I see an increase in the tendency to be critical, picky and negative of members work when not warrented.

Of course there are times people need to be scolded for doing dumb things like overloading their boats, kids without PFD, operating machinery in a dangerous manner, etc. But for the every day post that shows a members hard work, be kind. Especially if they obviously are just getting started, don't have experience, etc. Constructive criticism might be warrented, but again, be kind.

If you don't have something nice to say, then just don't post.

Deriding and negative posts retard the creativity of these forums and drive members away. These forums are here for enjoyment of the boating public. If they become "sour", people will leave, creativity and the flow of information will dry up. The "life force" of these forums will die and this place will be just another message board for those with a chip on their shoulder trying to prove they know more than you.

We want to encourage people to post. It helps you and me, it helps iboats, it builds a nice community.

So, please think twice before making a negative post.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Mark42

rottenray6402

Ensign
Re: If you can't say something nice....

I agree Mark and I think you have brought up some very good points here. As most here know I get raspy sometimes with the political things on Dockside chat but in the other forums I think we should be more careful. I worked with the Japanese for a number of years and their idea of allowing someone to "save face" works very well. I am constantly amazed at the diverse and knowlegeable people that post here and the tremedous amount of help that is offered.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hey man, this is dockside chat, you're preachin to the choir.

8)

xtraham

Lieutenant

I agree mark, we all know that perfection comes with practice and good advise, constructive criticisms is welcome imho but some seem to go to far, I have learned alot here about outboards, I have also lerned if you post something thats not 100% complete right down to the spelling the buzzards are waiting to peck @ ya...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Its only a few bad apples that would say something like that.

I believe most people here are pretty helpful and kind.

Ken

xtraham

Lieutenant

Its only a few bad apples that would say something like that.

I believe most people here are pretty helpful and kind.

Ken

Agree:

xtraham

Lieutenant

jtex: now thats what ya call over the edge..........

Laddies

Banned

Mark, I thought I was done posting on this site but want to tell you that you have said a mouth full. I argee with you and would like to go one step further and say one of the biggest trouble makers is the continual argueing about polictics and the war, I thought this was a boating related site, BAR POLITICAL CRAP that would save most of the problems on dockside chat and while b!tching Someone should try to figure what out what to do about some of the poor advice on the mechanical forums. Two years ago this site was the best site on the internet for marine advice but has been going downhill rapidly for the last six months, I used to tell everone what a great site it was and be proud to contribute what little I knew about marine repair, now I seldom post and would be embarrassed to recommend the site to anyone and have been asked by several people what on earth has HAPPENED to The high quality of input here in the last few months. I wish I had a anwser for them but don't have a clue what the anwser would be. Bob

QC

Supreme Mariner

My personal opinion is that Dockside and the Repair forums are two very different things. So, I not only have no problem with politics on DC, I contribute. Laddies, you're not the first one to feel that way, SBN, snapperbait etc. have all said similar things and their activity has dropped too. With that said, I'll never understand why you simply don't open obviously political threads? I really don't get it . . .

The repair stuff seems to be self correcting though. Usually when bad advice is given someone shows up to right the ship. On the other hand there are some well intended, generally accepted as gospel, type advice that is in fact incorrect. That causes a lot of discussion and sometimes it gets nasty.

I have only been posting here a year and a half. In that time I have seen big and little spats in the repair sections with no apparent change noticeable to me. My experience is primarily with the I/O section, but again, the last six months seems no different. No matter what, there is no need for people to be rude and condescending although I am sure some of my posts have come across that way. It is very difficult to sound nice when you are directly contradicting someone, and sometimes a direct contradiction is correct . . .

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bob,
I agree that the political posts cause bad feelings between members. Maybe a political forum is needed.

Regarding the tech forums, I am amazed that these senior tech guys stay on. They get nothing for their time, they have their own business to run, and it must get real boring answering the same question about "what year is this motor?" and "has no spark" and "won't start" etc. Those guys deserve a big round of applause for their contributions here.

I am not surprised that some techs do not post as often as they used to. Can't blame them for becoming weary and losing interest.

When I first came here about 4 years ago, I was amazed at the level of restraint, tolerance and encouragement that members demonstrated on these forums. I see that slipping away. Gone too is a lot of the humor. We used to have debates that lasted days on the merits of Crimping VS Soldering a connection. Some people were very pationate about their beliefs, but there was no name calling. If you notice, those posters don't come around much anymore.

txswinner

Banned

I look at this site as an open forum and treat it as such. You will never have to worry about criticizing work on a boat or motor cause I have trouble with fueling and oil. What kind of a jerk would do such a thing is beyond me, but there I go with the name calling.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Mark, there should be a difference between "dockside Chat" and "Envirude/Johnson Outboards" thats easy to discern. I know things get hot here. And occasionally, in the boat-related stuff, topics become a bit heavy. There are rules governing our conduct here that should prevent things from escalating beyond the realm, but the mods must know about it before they can fix it (as whitnessed above -- I have no clue what those threads link to, because they were NO-DOUBT zapped after the mods read them).
Outside of that human control, oyu are at the mercy of the individual poster. And some of them can be viscious...I can be viscious, and never know it sometimes.
Know that are some deeply-held ideolies here. Try to stay in the frying pan, but if you can't, jump into another one. I "jump" from time-to-time myself, when the emotions tell me I need to give this thing a rest. But I found out that I'm addicted to it too. And i have friends here that i would die for...Some of those are even diametrically opposed to me politically.
So I don't jump far. :)

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone chat about politics or religion while sittin on a real dock? If so, I'd find another dock. You're right on Mark! Do any of y'all talk politics with your drinkin'/fishin' buddies? If the title of the thread sounds like anything to do with politics, I personally don't even open the thing.

Peace-out

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Mark42 said:

Regarding the tech forums, I am amazed that these senior tech guys stay on. They get nothing for their time, they have their own business to run, and it must get real boring answering the same question about "what year is this motor?" and "has no spark" and "won't start" etc. Those guys deserve a big round of applause for their contributions here.

I am not surprised that some techs do not post as often as they used to. Can't blame them for becoming weary and losing interest.

Thanks for the post Mark. I agree that in the mechanical forums, be nice, and correct those who try to help. We all have to learn.
I, as a newbie, try to answer the simple questions..motor year, engine picks up if I pump the bulb and no spark, I leave the stuff I don't know to the experts, but some seem to be disapearing..Calms, Tahshasdaddy and I don't see much from Laddies anymore. And I miss that, that is how I learned.
Without these experts, people's questions do not get a response and they either go away or post some real nasty stuff.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

12Footer said:
And i have friends here that i would die for...Some of those are even diametrically opposed to me politically.

Great point! I think most of us would do that, at least I would.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yes, I agree that Dock Side Chat should be a little looser and fancy free, but that does not preclude being considerate.

I started this post to address the attitudes I see spreading across all the forums, not just Dock Side. I see more sarcasm and attitude being tossed around the Tech forums than is warranted.

I know if you don't like what you read, you can just change the thread or forum. But there is a lot to be said about giving respect to other peoples ideas. Even if they are being rude, I try to retain some class and not get my feathers ruffled. I try to look past the bad attitude and address their issues. If that doesn't work, then I just ignore that poster going forward.

I think some people feel they can flex their "internet attitudes" because they feel safe in the distance and anonymity that the internet affords. They know they can be rude without getting their lights punched out. And that is a bad thing.

Here is an example of what I mean:

On a different forum (non-boating) I had a young man attacking my every word for weeks on end. It took all of 10 minutes to gather the info on him to get his address and phone number. I assured him if he didn't stop the harrassment, I would come over his house and beat him severely with a pipe in front of his wife and kids (of course, I would never do such a thing. Besides, he lived many states away ) . He continued to deride me until I started posting his home address, one line at a time. By the time I started posting his phone number, he was apologizing left and right and even had his wife make a post saying he was drunk and to ignore anything he had said. He never posted again after that.

That is an example of people who think they can be as rude as they want because they are safe behind the screen and firewall. What they don't realize is being rude is just plain wrong. And just because you can be rude and harassing, does not mean you should.

Just follow the Golden Rule: Treat others like you want to be treated.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Fishin' said:
Does anyone chat about politics or religion while sittin on a real dock? If so, I'd find another dock. You're right on Mark! Do any of y'all talk politics with your drinkin'/fishin' buddies? If the title of the thread sounds like anything to do with politics, I personally don't even open the thing.

Peace-out
Then you have no interest here in "dockside chat"?
. There are forums on-site for all the little niches. Surely, you''ve noticed that by now.?
why.gif

Pony

Rear Admiral

Mark- I hope you are not offended by our recent quarrels in the "hp thread" and the like.

Politics and religion are one thing, constant put downs, name calling, and disrespect is quite another. Its sad that they seem to go hand in hand so frequently.