johnson 115 v4 will not start with key

thedipper

Cadet
I recently bought a johnson 115 modle #115mlcte. The motor is a total rebuild. When I started the motor, after reconecting the wire harness. I could not get it to shut off using the key. With the old motor the key worked fine but the tac did not work. Now the tac works but the key wont shut off or start the motor now. Also i now have no spark where i had spark yesterday and the key work to start it.
When the motor did not start I did try to shut it off by switching the battery switch to off with the motor running.I am thinking I blew something. The motor will crank when I jump the solinoid. Also I have aleady replaced the key switch, and rechecked all my conections.
thanks so much in addvance

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson 115 v4 will not start with key

There's a black or black/yellow wire coming out of the powerpack(s). This is the wire that goes to the key switch to shut off the engine. It goes into a rubber plug a few inches after it comes out of the powerpack. It may have a bad connection in the plug or it may be broken somewhere before it gets to the key switch. When you switch the key to off, this wire grounds out the powerpack. So your problem is that this wire, for whatever reason, does not have continuity through the key switch to ground when you turn the key to off.
If you blew something when you flipped the battery switch it was the rectifier/regulator which among other duties, charges the battery. But it should still start with a bad rectifier.
The fact that it cranks when you jump the solenoid but not when you turn the key indicates that you have a problem somewhere in the key switch or its wiring. I would guess the wiring, as you said you replaced the switch. In the future, if you need to kill the engine, use the choke or primer to flood it out. You can email me if you have a question.

thedipper

Cadet

Lorin thank you for your reply. I will check that in the a.m.
The thing that worries me is the no spark.
thanks Tom Johnson

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In regard to the no spark-try this. Pull apart the big red plug. This disconnects the motor from the key switch and kill switch. Then try jumping the solenoid and see if you have spark. If you do now have spark then you know that the key or kill switch is messed up and is preventing you from getting spark when the red plug is hooked up. If you dont have spark then you know it's something on the motor itself that is messed up. Is there 1 or 2 power packs?

thedipper

Cadet

Thanks again Lorin. There are 2 power packs. I know that 1 beibg bad will take down the other one.I am going to isolate and test them in the am. Your other sugestion is great too. I will let you know how i make out
Thanks again Tom johnson

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check the 20 amp fuse in the wire harness under the cowling. It is hiden inside a red rubber connector.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Tom,
not sure what year model that is but if it has two powerpacks, the keyswitch chart should look like this:
terminal B (battery) - red/purple - 12V from battery.
terminal S (start) - yellow/red - energizes starter solenoid - continuity with B when key is turned to Start.
terminal C (choke) - purple/white - energizes choke or primer solenoid - continuity with B when key is turned to Start or On *and* key is pushed in.
terminal A (accessory) - purple - switched 12V - continuity with B when key is On.
terminal M (magneto) - black - ground.- continuity with other M when key is Off.
other terminal M (magneto) - black/yellow - kill circuit - continuity with M when key is Off.

On some motors a shorted rectifier diode will short out the ignition - disconnect yellow rectifier leads from the stator and retest for spark.

You may find this ignition troubleshooting guide helpful:
http://rapair.com/Portals/0/downloads/TroubleshootingGuide.pdf

thedipper

Cadet

thanks all who replied just, got back from the boat. I have a wet butt raing real good here. Any way i tried all the things and they worked. rechecked the new key switch it was wired right. Checked the nuetrual safty switch and it was lose from the shifter connection repaired that and am now in buissness. The engine turns over with the key. It did not start but i realy din't try and did not want to take off the cover because it was raing to hard.
Thanks to everyone out there who helped. You guys a realy great.
Thankyou
Tom Johnson

thanks tom johnson