Stalling 1st merc please help !

MERC40

Recruit
Thanks for looking. I just bought a 1996 40 horse merc.I tested all four cylnders they read 130 130 132 131. I put it in the water and at higher rpms it runs sweet and smooth when i throttle it down all the way it wants to die. and when i shift it into gear half the time it dies. i could fix the problem by giving it a little more throttle and putting it in gear but thats a little to fast and it clunks into gear (I know thats bad i only did it once). I also tried spraying the carbs out. its kind of a hard starting motor but when it dies it will usally start if i pump the bulb and primer a few times. it seems like its not getting enouf gas. the gas hose is about 4 feet to long, tommorow i am going to try to shorten it and see if i can find somthing in the pick up or filter that is cloged but outside everthing looks real clean. can anyone help if i have to take it to a mecanic i am going to have to sleep with the motor because i told my wife today i wouldnt by anything else for the boat untill next summer if she let me get this motor . Thanks...

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stalling 1st merc please help !

I have a 1994 Mariner 4cylinder and its hose is also too long. Did you hear the engine run before you bought it and did it run fine? If it did maybe something is not hooked up right from the swap.

If not I would check the fuel line carefully and look for loose connections or pin holes causing an air leak. Make sure the low idle RPM is correct. Check fuel tank vents for a vaccum on the tank. Test fuel pump pressures. Might remove carb bowls and check for water.

You need to get a good manual.

Hope this helps.
Mike

MERC40

Recruit

RIVIREA1994 said:
I have a 1994 Mariner 4cylinder and its hose is also too long. Did you hear the engine run before you bought it and did it run fine? If it did maybe something is not hooked up right from the swap.

If not I would check the fuel line carefully and look for loose connections or pin holes causing an air leak. Make sure the low idle RPM is correct. Check fuel tank vents for a vaccum on the tank. Test fuel pump pressures. Might remove carb bowls and check for water.

You need to get a good manual.

Hope this helps.
Mike

MERC40

Recruit

Thanks I really appriciate the help

phatmanmike

Captain

check and maybe change your fuel pump diaphram and clean your carbs. dirty low speed jets in the carbs will always cause this.

cheap fix, maybe 30 bucks altogether!