Is it safe to start motor?

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1995 Evinrude 175hp rectifier/regulator is fried. And I am trying to test other things to make sure nothing else had to do with the rectifier going bad. Is it okay to hook the battery back up and start the motor with the rectifier/regulator unplugged from everything? I am wanting to check my stator for charging voltage and my tach to the yellow wires of the stator, to make sure the tach is okay.

Also since I just bought this boat last weekend I want to check compression. What is the proper way to check compression so I will not burn up my coils?

Thanks,
Robert

guywithboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is it safe to start motor?

Compression - unplug your plug wire to the coil. WOT. Remove all the plugs. Check compreswsion one cylinder at a time. Turn the engine over a few times to get a good reading.

As for the other - I would go ahead and replace the known bad parts and go from there.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You can disable ignition by pulling the emergency lanyard otherwise use jumper wires to ground the spark plug leads to the engine block.

The engine will run without a rectifier...but I don't think the tach will work. You probably know this already...but just to be on the safe side...wrap up those rectifier leads...who knows what would happen if they touched the wrong thing...probably nothing...

Water pump is another good thing to do to a newly acquired motor.

rkersh409

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I didn't think about the lanyard, good idea. Do I still need to ground out the spark plug leads?

As far as the tach I am going to do like Joe suggested. Hook the gray tach lead to the yellow lead off of the stator. Or will that blow my tach since its AC instead of pulsing DC?

The water pump and lower unit oil was changed at the beginning of the year. So the guy told me any way.

Every time I think I understand this system I come up with more questions. LoL

Thanks,
Robert

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Joe Reeves is DA MAN if he says so then it is so. 8)

no need to ground the leads, no fire from the powerpack with it grounded through the kill switch

congrats on the new boat!