...Not if, but when...

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As the 18 year old guy of our family, it has been my responsibility for caring for our two boats at our cottage. One, a 2001 14' Sylvan fishing boat that is more or less gotten its uses over the years, and the other, a 2006 Four Winns 180 Horizon, with hardly a scratch on the outside. Of course, that was all about to change when we went on a nice evening cruise, around our lake (incidentally, it is believed Kahshe Lake is also known as "lake with many rocks"). I should also add that I secretly hoped I would never become another statistic of this forum, because although each post is hilarious to read, I would never wish any of the events on anyone. Anyways, after ice cream at the local marina, I decided to go to the opposite end of the lake from where we live, and to go there through a way I have only gone to once, in the aluminum boat. Needless to say, even with a depth sounder, those rocks came up quick while cruising at 30mph. I heard a crunch I wish to never hear ever again, and after killing the engine and tilting up to check the damage, we limped home. After lifting the boat out to be taken to the marina, I saw that about 20% of the prop had been removed, and most of the lower skeg had been lost. A costly, $600 mistake. I now know that unless i know exactly where to go, I'll just follow the beaten path.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: ...Not if, but when...

what kind of ice cream?

8)

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

roflmao @ JT 8)

Happens to the best of us, welcome aboard!

Best advice is usually "If in doubt, stay well out" but I've been with people who should have stayed well out of the boat! :'(

Many years ago on a patrol in a Coastguard RIB i was with a newbie and had explained to him why there was a tower in the middle of the sea near the coast and a bouy a hundred yards away from it.................they marked a shallow, jagged reef which was notorious.
Oh yeah, I turned to check some gear and the next thing I knew we'd lost the gearboxes from both engines as we ploughed into the reef :devil:

Apparently the newbie thought I'd been taking the mickey !!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A very expensive and embarrasing lesson for us both: never let the newbie drive when near a reef!

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

At least you learned! A lot of folks can't say that.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

There are 2 types of boaters:
Those who HAVE hit something, and
Those who WILL hit something. 8)

If it's not rocks, it's wood. Just to make you feel better, here's one of MY 'greatest hits':

Just started a new job at a fish farm. (had been farming for a while, new co.) The first day of my first shift the general manager was up for an inspection, and I was picked to take him from site to site. It was a beautiful summers day, mid afternoon, not even a breeze and the water was like glass. Left the first site to go to the next heading straight into the sun. Between the sun and the glare, it was impossible to see the barkless alder log sitting flush with the surface of the water. :$

Going flat out in a 16' welded alum flat bottom with a Mariner 90. With a huge BAM! and a loud WTF!?! from the GM I started thinking it was good that I hadn't un-packed my gear yet! Tilting the motor up revealed 3 1"-1 1/2" stubs that used to be prop blades and a skeg that looked like Jaws' teething toy!:%

After a brief rant that used at least 80% of the swear words of 3 or 4 different languages, he calmed down and admitted we were BOTH looking ahead and he hadn't seen it either.

Like you said, it's not IF but WHEN! Sometimes you just have bad timing!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

jtexas said:
what kind of ice cream?

8)

Rocky Road
mrs_eusa_doh.gif

Khanhfucious

Seaman Apprentice

A while ago I was at Monomanac (New Hampshire/Mass border), which, I found out the next say at the marina, is a trecherous lake.

Go down the public dock, go past the pylons and the no wake area, and do a few laps around the lake, then drove around fishing. Got nothing, ran out of worm bait, and decided to go home. I was at the far end of the lake at the time, so I WOT'd it. As I neared the pylons, I put it at half throttle, and pulled along at around 35MPH. Then I hear a BANG! and the engine was free revving but the boat wasnt moving. I shut off the motor, lift it up, and the blades of the prop were folded over.

No other damage that I could see, I lowered the stern drive, gave it gas, adn didnt move. Had to paddle all the way in, which took an hour.

Came home, pulled the prop off, and found grey chunks of hard material on the spindle. I about pooped my pants.

Bought a new prop, straightened the skeg, and found that the plastic insert that goes in the hub of the prop was stripped, and thats where all the chunks were from.